The best shower curtains you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- The first thing you see when you enter your bathroom is probably the shower curtain, so why not buy a good one that complements your bathroom's design?
- Of all the shower curtains we researched, the LiBa Mildew Resistant Fabric Shower Curtain is the best one with its simple look and sturdy construction.
Your shower curtain may seem like a thoughtless purchase, but it's actually something that deserves some consideration. Your bathroom is one of the most intimate places in your home and the shower curtain tends to be the highlight of it.
The two main purposes of shower curtains are to keep water off the bathroom floor and to instill a sense of privacy, but they also set the tone for the style of your bathroom. Having a shower curtain that goes well with the rest of your bathroom aesthetics while still giving you privacy while you shower.
The basic components of your shower curtain system are comprised of the shower curtain (which is primarily decorative), an optional curtain liner (which is primarily functional), the shower curtain rod, and the shower curtain rings. The liner is unseen by most visitors, and you can pick rods and rings that based on the design of your bathroom or curtain, so at the end of the day, the most important part of your shower curtain system is the curtain itself.
And for the record, no, a liner on its own is not a suitable curtain despite how little you care about your bathroom style. That is, unless it specifically says that the liner can double as a curtain on the packaging.
Good shower curtains typically cost anywhere from $10 to $100. What makes a "good" curtain is dependent upon how your shower is structured along with the materials and the design of the curtain. Before we dive into design, there are some things to keep in mind when searching for any shower curtain:
Shower curtain sizes and how to measure
A standard shower curtain runs 72-by-72-inches, but not all showers are the same. If you have a standing stall shower, free standing or "clawfoot" bathtub shower, or any other kind of custom-made or unique sized shower you may need to purchase either a stall curtain (usually 54-by-78-inches), an extra-long curtain (72-by-84-inches or 72-by-96-inches) for bathrooms with high ceilings or, an extra wide curtain (108-by-72-inches), which is usually for those with a clawfoot bathtub shower.
To measure out the best curtain size, first, determine the width and height. To get the curtain width, measure the entire length of the curtain rod and add 12 inches. Height depends on if you have a built-in tub, a clawfoot tub, or no tub at all.
If you have a built in tub, measure from the bottom of the curtain rod (or curtain rings if you are using them) to the top of the tub, and add up an inch or two to account for the tub, which is usually about 10 inches in height at the most. Unless you have a clawfoot bathtub with a shower, you want the shower curtain to fall an inch or two inside the tub to prevent water leakage.
If you have a clawfoot bathtub shower, you'll have to be a little more crafty. Shower curtain measurements for these oval-shaped bathtub shower combos can vary greatly, but the main thing you want to focus on is getting a curtain that does not gather too much, which is an awkward look, but instead appears to be resting comfortably. You'll also need a track (if you don't have one already) that goes completely around the tub.
In this case, it's best to prioritize getting the correct track size by measuring the width and length of the tub and purchasing a track that fits these dimensions. From there purchase an extra wide shower curtain (so it wraps all the way around the tub) and adjust the track height to accommodate the height of your curtain. SFGate has a handy guide of this with step by step instructions.
Shower Curtain Materials
The materials of the curtain are just as important as the design. The main things to think about are how the curtain can be cleaned based on what it's made of and how long you expect it to last. The most common materials of shower curtains are polyester, nylon, cotton, linen, and sometimes a mix of a few of these materials.
- Synthetic shower curtains are the usually the most affordable, low maintenance, surprisingly durable, and have some water repellent properties which helps to fight mildew buildup. They are crafted out of man-made materials such as polyester, nylon, or sometimes a nylon/cotton mix.
- Polyester shower curtains are the most common. They also resist shrinking and creasing, are not flammable, and dry quickly. On the downside, they're not as luxurious as curtains made of other materials.
- Natural fabric shower curtains are usually made of cotton or linen and come in various weaves and thicknesses. They're more expensive and generally look and feel that way. They're much less water-resistant, although most are treated with some type of waterproofing, so they take longer to dry and require you also purchase a liner. Natural fabric curtains are more flammable and usually don't provide any defense against mildew and other buildup. But they are washable, usually in a basic washing machine, although some will require dry cleaning.
- Shower curtain liners: On the subject on liners, if you have a fabric curtain or any curtain that comes with instructions that even suggests a liner then, yes, you need one. It's really not a debate. There's no point in buying a high quality, not to mention, more expensive shower curtain if you don't buy a liner to protect it. One trick to minimize disposal and recurring costs of your shower curtain liners is to find ones that are made from fabric, which you've probably seen in hotels, such as this Croscill Fabric Shower Curtain Liner, ranked number 14 in shower curtain liners on Amazon. Fabric liners are easy to wash, maintain, and will last you longer. If you don't go with fabric, at least indulge an extra few dollars in a liner that is mold and mildew resistant, so it won't need to be replaced as frequently.
The following Insider Picks are based on a combination of outside expert designer recommendations, Amazon customer reviews, and personal experience. Shower curtains come in so many designs we strived to take all shower curtain aspects, such as functionality and longevity, into consideration, as well, of course, as looks and style. Read on to discover our top picks in shower curtains.
Here are the best shower curtains you can buy:
- Best shower curtain overall: LiBa Mildew Resistant Fabric Shower Curtain
- Best shower curtain with pockets: Maytex Mesh Pockets PEVA Shower Curtain in Clear
- Best shower curtain for a hookless look: Goodbath Fabric Hookless Shower Curtain
- Best shower curtain for a classic or modern design scheme: InterDesign Chevron Shower Curtain
Updated on 5/20/2019 by Les Shu: Updated prices, links, and formatting.
Keep scrolling to read more about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best shower curtain overall
The best shower curtain with pockets
The best shower curtain for a hookless look
The best shower curtain for a classic or modern design scheme
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- After a near-record run at the top of Netflix's US Top 10 list, pop culture smash 'Squid Game' has been bumped by another show
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Crypto hackers now target iPhone users via dating apps like Bumble, Tinder
- HP Envy 14 review: A solid no-frills laptop for productivity and occasional gaming
- How to edit PDF online using your browser
- Consumer demand for bigger homes in Mumbai is rising — is a price hike on the cards?
- CBSE class 10, 12 board exams 2022: Date sheet for term 1 exams to be released today
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons