The Clippers reportedly decided to make the biggest trade for a superstar in NBA history because they feared the Lakers forming a Big 3 with Kawhi Leonard
Vaughn Ridley/Getty Images
- The Los Angeles Clippers made a massive trade for Paul George, then signed Kawhi Leonard in free agency.
- According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Clippers gave up as many as seven overall first-round picks, plus two players, one of the biggest trades for a superstar in NBA history.
- According to Wojnarowski, the Clippers decided to make the move because they feared Leonard signing with the Los Angeles Lakers and forming a Big 3 with LeBron James and Anthony Davis, while the Clippers were left empty-handed.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
As The New York Times' Marc Stein noted, it surpassed the package the Los Angeles Lakers sent the New Orleans Pelicans for Anthony Davis just weeks ago.According to Wojnarowski, the Clippers were motivated to do the trade, in part, because of their Staples Center co-tenants: the Lakers. Wojnarowski reported that the Clippers feared the Lakers landing Leonard in free agency and forming their own Big 3 with Leonard, Davis, and LeBron James while the Clippers came away empty-handed.
According to Wojnarwoski, the Clippers explored trade talks to land Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal and New Orleans Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday, but neither player was available. Meanwhile, Thunder GM Sam Presti played the Toronto Raptors and Clippers against one another, trying to offload George and Russell Westbrook in mega-deals. The Clippers ultimately offered a massive package to land George so they could sign Leonard.In a wide-open NBA, the Clippers immediately jump into contenders status, with two of the best two-way players in the entire NBA. They sacrificed a little bit of depth and much of their future to land George and Leonard, but ultimately, they have a superstar tandem that rivals everyone in the league, including their L.A. rivals.
- Delhi government allows reopening of bars, public parks and gardens from Monday
- India to hold two-day BRICS meet on Green Hydrogen initiatives
- SEBI asks PNB Housing to halt ₹4,000 crore preferential issue of shares
- Word Music Day 2021: Importance, history, memorable quotes and how to celebrate it during a pandemic
- International Yoga Day — this year’s theme is ‘Yoga for well-being’