The Curiosity rover found a massive spike in methane that could point to life on Mars
- NASA's Curiosity rover discovered high amounts of methane in the air on Mars, indicating signs of life on the planet.
- Methane is typically just produced by living things.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The NASA Curiosity rover made a remarkable discovery this week that may hint at signs of life on Mars.
The surprising development, reported on by The New York Times, brings legitimacy to the long-held notion that aliens may actually be occupying the red planet.
According to a measurement taken on Wednesday by NASA's Curiosity rover, scientists unearthed high amounts of methane in the air on Mars - indicating microbes could survive on the planet. As The Times noted, methane is typically just produced by living things.
Business Insider has reached out to NASA for comment.
This isn't the first time that scientists have found methane on Mars: In 2004, scientists reported the discovery of methane in the air, following three year's of observations. "We are 99 percent confident," Dr. Michael Mumma, a senior scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, told The Times following that news. "It surprised all of us, actually. We really are still scrambling to understand what it means."
However, in 2013, new measurements from the Curiosity rover found that the atmosphere contained very little or no methane, reducing the prospect of life on the planet. Study author Christopher Webster, director of the microdevices lab at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, described those results as "disappointing for many," in a 2013 interview with Business Insider.
According to an email obtained by the Times, Ashwin R. Vasavada, the project scientist for the mission, wrote to his team that "given this surprising result, we've reorganized the weekend to run a follow-up experiment," with the results of those observations expected on Monday.
Read The New York Time's full article here
- Read more:
- Jeff Bezos took another veiled shot at Elon Musk, arguing that reaching Mars is an 'illusion' without going via the moon
- Look inside the 3D-printed Mars home that NASA awarded $500,000
- Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos have profound visions for humanity's future in space. Here's how the billionaires' goals compare.
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore