The EU just launched a formal antitrust probe into Amazon
- The European Union's competition commissioner, Margrethe Vestager, is launching a formal investigation into Amazon.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The EU is cracking down on Amazon.On Wednesday, the European Commission announced that it will launch a formal investigation into Amazon. Reports of this investigation first surfaced on Tuesday.Advertisement
Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, who is leading the investigation, said in a statement on Wednesday that she will be taking a "very close look" at Amazon's "dual role.""We need to ensure that large online platforms don't eliminate these benefits through anti-competitive behaviour," she said. "I have therefore decided to take a very close look at Amazon's business practices and its dual role as marketplace and retailer, to assess its compliance with EU competition rules."
- Assam breaches 500-mark in COVID-19 cases, 156 new infections
- Assam breaches 500-mark in COVID-19 cases, 147 new infections
- Rajasthan eases lockdown norms, allows taxis, auto rickshaws to operate in red zones
- Bihar reports 163 fresh COVID cases, tally climbs to 2,737
- UP records 8 more COVID-related deaths; 229 fresh cases take tally to 6,497