THE EVOLUTION OF THE US NEOBANK MARKET: Why the US digital-only banking space may finally be poised for the spotlight
Neobanks, digital-only banks that aren't saddled by traditional banking technology and costly networks of physical branches, have been working to redefine retail banking in major markets around the world.
Driven by innovation-friendly regulatory reforms, these companies have especially gained traction in Europe over the last three years. While the US is home to some of the oldest neobanks - including Simple, which set up shop in 2009, and Moven, which was founded in 2011 - the country's neobank ecosystem has lagged behind its European counterpart.
That's largely because of an onerous regulatory regime, which has made it very difficult to obtain a banking license, and the entrenched position incumbents hold in the financial lives of US consumers. Navigating the tedious and costly scheme for obtaining a banking charter and appropriate approvals has been a major stumbling block for the country's digital banking upstarts. However, developments over the past year suggest these startups are finally poised for the spotlight in the US.
In this report, Business Insider Intelligence maps out the factors contributing to this shifting tide, examines how key players are positioning themselves to take advantage, and explores how incumbents can embark on their own digital transformations to stave off disruption.
The companies mentioned in this report are: Aspiration, Chime, Goldman Sachs' Marcus, JPMorgan Chase's Finn, N26, and Revolut.
Here are some of the key takeaways from the report:
- Despite lagging behind Europe, recent developments suggest that neobanks are finally ready for the spotlight in the US.
- Three distinct influences are responsible for creating the fertile ground for this evolution: regulation, shifting consumer attitudes, and the activity of incumbent banks.
- Among those driving this evolution in the US are foreign neobanks including Germany's N26 and UK-based Revolut.
- Meanwhile, two notable incumbent-owned outfits have deployed amid great fanfare: Marcus by Goldman Sachs and Finn by Chase.
- In this increasingly competitive landscape, incumbent banks have a range of strategic options at their disposal, including overhauling their entire business for the digital era.
In full, the report:
- Details the factors contributing to a shift in the US' neobank market.
- Explains the different operating models neobanks in the US are deploying to roll out their services and meet consumer demands.
- Highlights how incumbent banks are tapping into the advantages offered by stand-alone digital outfits.
- Discusses the key strategies established players need to deploy to remain relevant in the US' increasingly digital banking landscape.
Interested in getting the full report? Here are two ways to access it:
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >>Purchase & Download Now
- Subscribe to a Premium pass to Business Insider Intelligence and gain immediate access to this report and over 100 other expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you'll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally. >> Learn More Now
The choice is yours. But however you decide to acquire this report, you've given yourself a powerful advantage in your understanding of the fast-moving world of Fintech.
- Redmi Pad Review: A decent tablet for the masses
- Electronics Mart India IPO is subscribed 1.69 times on day 1
- Big B’s best movies are back on the big screens - Here are 11 you can watch
- Reliance Jio to begin beta trial of 5G in four cities on Dussehra with unlimited data
- With 950 billionaires, Asia outnumbers all other regions: Forbes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World