The FDA just approved a new treatment for a devastating disease. The price tag is more than $2 million.
- The US FDA just approved a new treatment for a devastating rare genetic disease.
- Called Zolgensma, it is a type of cutting-edge, one-time treatment called a "gene therapy" that treats the disease spinal muscular atrophy at its genetic root.
- That means it should work longer than the typical drug, but has also translated to a much higher price tag, too.
- Zolgensma, which is made by drugmaker Novartis's AveXis unit, will cost $2.125 million, the company said on Friday.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The FDA just approved a cutting-edge new treatment for a devastating rare genetic disease called spinal muscular atrophy.
The treatment, Novartis's Zolgensma, is a one-time therapy that works to treat the disease at the genetic level. That meants the drug's effects should last for a long time, though it's still not known if the treatment will be permanent.
Novartis priced the product at $2.125 million, or $425,000 a year if paid over a five-year installment plan. Novartis called the price fair and reasonable on a conference call with reporters on Friday.
ICER, a group that measures the cost-effectiveness of new drugs, has said that a fair price range for Zolgensma is likely between $310,000 to $900,000, and could be up to $1.5 million.
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range