The first thing I ask people who say they want to start a side hustle
- Susie Moore is an entrepreneur and life coach who runs her own business.
- She says the most important thing she asks people who say they want to start a business is, "How do you explain what you do to potential customers?"
- To have a successful elevator pitch, you just need a few key things.
Here's the first thing I ask people who say they want to start a side hustle. It's not the idea they have. It's not how much they wanna charge or who they wanna sell it to. Or if they have a website.
"How do you explain what you do to potential customers?"People struggle so hard to explain the value of what they do. They go quiet. They look at the floor. They stumble over their words. They don't have an easy and simply way to explain what it is they do and why purchasing their product or service is of value. Oh - and don't even get me started on talking about pricing.
I've seen people literally almost run away from a potential sale because they can't clearly articulate their business clearly. The good news is that it's an easy fix.
To have a successful elevator pitch, you just need a few key things:
- Knowing what's for sale.
- Who you are
- What you do
- Who you serve (in marketing speak, we call this your avatar)
Here's a good script to use:
If I were to meet you for the first time. Who are you? Here's an example of one of my elevator pitches:
- My name is …. Susie Moore.
- I am a …. Side Hustle Coach.
- I specialize in… Helping people go from $0 to income in just 30 days.
- What I do is …. Help talented people nail the best idea for their side hustle and take it out into the world to raving fans.
- What makes me the best is… I've taught hundreds of people how to do this in sectors ranging from beauty blogging to app creation.
- Request/call to action … Could this be useful to someone you know? Here's a link to my free workshop.
- My name is …. Katy Smith.
- I am a …. Personal Trainer.
- I specialize in… helping new moms lose baby weight and feel fabulously energized.
- What I do is …. Work with moms in LA in either a 30- or 90-day bounce-back program.
- What makes me the best is… I've had 3 kids and know how to make this work for even the busiest working mom! My clients rave about how good they look and feel within a couple of weeks.
- Request/call to action … Could this be useful to someone you know? Here how you book a call with me…
You can give an email, a Calendly link to set up a call, a link to your online shop. Anything!
You can (and will) always tweak, evolve, tailor your pitch for audience. For example:
- A photographer could do engagement/wedding/new baby/family - based on who they are talking to.
- A social media expert could do corporate consulting or 1:1 Instagram management for Influencers.
- An event planner could hold a class on entertaining or plan summer beach house parties throughout July and August.
Knowing your audience and how to tailor slightly to each person you're talking to is golden. So, don't be afraid to play around! PRO TIP: Use the mirror! Practice wins! Just for 5-10 minutes every so often. Because nailing your messaging is worth it.
Susie Moore is a New York-based high-performance coach, who's been featured on the Today show, Forbes, Oprah.com and more. If you're curious about starting (or scaling) your side hustle, sign up for her free workshop here.