The frontrunner to become the next DNC chair warned Trump could win in July 2015 - and was laughed at
One major party figure was likely not surprised, however, based on statements made over a year ago.
In July 2015, Rep. Keith Ellison, a congressman from Minnesota and the co-chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, appeared on ABC's "This Week" and warned about ignoring Trump's momentum.
Ellison is now considered a top contender for chair of the Democratic National Committee after receiving endorsements from Sens. Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, as well as other major party figures.
During a roundtable discussion on "This Week," host George Stephanopoulos asked his panelists - ABC news political analyst Matthew Dowd, New York Times correspondent Maggie Haberman, Republican strategist Ana Navarro, and Ellison - to explain Trump's appeal.
After each panelist spoke, Stephanopoulos turned to Ellison, who had remained silent and smiling throughout the discussion. Here's what he said:
"Well, all I want to say is that anybody -- well, from the Democratic side of the fence, who thinks -- who's terrified of the possibility of President Trump better vote, better get active, better get involved, because this man has some momentum, and we better be ready for the fact that he might be leading the Republican ticket."
The panelists broke out into laughter and Stephanopoulos told Ellison, "I know you don't believe that." Ellison continued:
"You know, George, we had Jesse Ventura in Minnesota win the govern ship. Nobody thought he was going to win. I'm telling you, stranger things have happened."
Ellison's sentiment proved prescient.
Here's the video:
- People want bigger homes and reopening offices, schools hasn’t altered this trend
- Prime Minister Modi says extension of free ration scheme will benefit crores during the festive season
- Central government employees given 4% hike in DA ahead of Diwali
- Jewellery chains are growing at the cost of standalone jewellers – and it’s only going to get worse, says World Gold Council report
- To beat the traffic of Bangalore, you can now book a 12-minute helicopter ride
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Rice and Pulses
- IIT Guwahati
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- Biggest Billionaires
- Sundar Pichai
- Home Loan
- Vinod Shantilal Adani
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Accenture earnings forecast
- India's Richest People
- Best 5G Smartphone
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World