The global gender gap will take more than 100 years to close - here are the countries with the highest and lowest gender gap around the world
- World Economic Forum says the global gender gap will take 108 years to close around the world.
- When it comes to economic gender disparities, the gap will take in excess of 200 years to eliminate.
- The WEF's survey shows that Iceland has the lowest gender gap, while the highest gap is in the civil war stricken state of Yemen.
- USA ranked 51st globally, while the UK was 15th.
It will take more than 200 years for economic gender equality to emerge, and 108 years to completely close the global gender gap across politics, health, education, according to the latest report from the World Economic Forum.
The WEF's annual Global Gender Gap Report compares attitudes towards gender equality around the world. It considered factors such as educational opportunities available to each gender, life expectancy, literacy rates, the number of women in professional positions, and in positions of power in each country.
The WEF surveyed men and women in 149 countries to compile the list.
"Stagnation in the proportion of women in the workplace and women's declining representation in politics, coupled with greater inequality in access to health and education, offset improvements in wage equality and the number of women in professional positions, leaving the global gender gap only slightly reduced in 2018," the World Economic Forum's report said.
Each nation is given a score out of 1, with higher scores indicating a greater level of gender equality. The USA was right in the middle of the pack with a score of 0.72, ranking 51st out of 149 nations.
Check out the best and worst countries for gender equality, as well as the global averages, below:
Skye Gould/Business Insider
Skye Gould/Business Insider
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- Revenge spending effect: Household savings dip to 5 -year low
- With no signs yet of inflation cooling, experts predict more rate hikes
- Covid hit mental health of kids, young people harder than thought
- Smog envelops Delhi, AQI remains in 'very poor' category
- Egypt president to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World