'The Grinch' easily wins the weekend box office, while 'Girl in the Spider's Web' bombs
- The latest animated movie by the studio behind "Despicable Me" and "Minions" has another hit with "The Grinch."
- This most recent retelling of the classic Dr. Seuss story won the weekend box office with $66 million.
- This opening bests the 2000 Jim Carrey-starring version, which had a $55 million opening.
- But it wasn't good news for "The Girl in the Spider's Web." The $40 million-plus reboot of the Lisbeth Salander franchise only had an $8 million opening.
It seems like everyone is already in the holiday spirit as the latest telling of the Dr. Seuss classic, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" took a nice bite out of the US box office over the weekend.The most recent title from animation studio Illumination (creators of "Despicable Me," "Minions," and "Sing") has definitely put a smile on Universal's face, which releases the animation studio's works. The movie took in an estimated $66 million to easily win the weekend.
That had a $55 million opening and went on to earn over $345 million worldwide.Read more: Netflix's Oscar contender 'Roma' will not be shown at Alamo Drafthouse in a big blow to its exclusive theatrical run
While Universal/Illumination found success dusting off a known property, Sony/MGM/New Regency didn't have the same luck with "The Girl in the Spider's Web."
- 5-star rating refrigerator (fridge) in India
- Best soundbar with Dolby Atmos in India 2021
- Best soundbars with a wireless subwoofer
- Myntra signs up Hrithik Roshan, Vijay Deverakonda and Dulquer Salmaan as its newest brand ambassadors
- Google is now using Chrome as an added security layer for account sign-ins