'The Hunt' isn't about liberal elites hunting 'deplorables,' but there are lines in the script that could anger Trump and his supporters
- Business Insider read the script for the movie "The Hunt," which Universal decided to not release in the wake of the mass shootings in early August and criticism from President Trump.
- The Blumhouse Productions thriller about a group of people who are hunted by liberal elites is extremely graphic and features a lot of gun violence.
- But the movie is not a liberal-versus-conservative story, as it has sometimes been depicted in the media.
- Still, there are references that could have angered Trump or his supporters.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
In the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso, Texas; Dayton, Ohio; and Gilroy, California in early August, Universal announced it was pulling its September 27 release of Blumhouse Production's "The Hunt," with no indication when (or if) it would ever be released.Advertisement
A day before Universal announced it had taken the movie off its slate, President Trump called Hollywood "really terrible" and "racist," and tweeted, "the movie coming out is made in order ... to inflame and cause chaos." Many in Hollywood and the media took Trump's tweet to refer to "The Hunt."But most people debating "The Hunt" online and in the media hadn't seen in. In fact, other than those involved with the movie, directed by Craig Zobel ("Compliance," episodes of HBO's "The Leftovers"), and test screening audiences, no one had.
So is the movie (budgeted at $15 million) an ultra-violent modern take on "The Most Dangerous Game" with liberal elites picking off "deplorables" for fun, as it has sometimes been portrayed in the media?(No major spoilers, we promise.)Advertisement
Note: Details below could change as the movie is currently being edited.
The movie is extremely violent.
It's not about liberal elites hunting conservatives, but you have to think that going into the movie for it to work.Advertisement
But there are definitely lines that could anger Trump or his supporters.
- Son, wife of JK Lt Guv's advisor test COVID-19 positive
- World’s most elusive wild cat spotted for the first time in a decade in Algeria
- Placentas from COVID-19-positive pregnant women show injury: Study
- Ready to deal with situation if there is spike in cases of novel coronavirus: Delhi CM
- 103 more test COVID-19 positive in Odisha, total cases rise to 1,438