The latest 'Fortnite' patch brings big changes to Battle Royale matchmaking and new styles for fan favorite skins
- "Fortnite" got its second patch of Season 8 earlier today, bringing gameplay updates and big changes to Battle Royale matchmaking.
- Players on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will share a crossplay matchmaking pool when playing in battle royale matches; those who opt-out of crossplay will only be able to play in "Fortnite's" Creative and Playgrounds modes.
- Players on the Nintendo Switch will be matched with people playing on mobile devices for Battle Royale. Switch players were previously grouped with Xbox and PlayStation 4 players.
Last year "Fortnite: Battle Royale" became the first video game to feature crossplay on all major video game platforms. Crossplay means that regardless of what platform players prefer - Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC, iOS, or Android- they can always play "Fortnite" together.
Fortnite developer Epic Games said the change is designed to help optimize the game's server load, and could help them run more types of game modes alongside Battle Royale. Like before, Xbox and PS4 players will still have to opt-in for crossplay from "Fortnite's" settings, but if they don't, they'll only be allowed to play in Creative and Playgrounds mode matches.
Also starting today, players on the Nintendo Switch will be matched with players on iOS and Android devices. Switch player were previously grouped with PS4 and Xbox players, but Epic Games said that matching Switch owners with mobile players should provide for a more consistent experience for both parties.Because "Fortnite" already had optional crossplay, the change probably won't have much of an effect how the game plays. Players on Switch may have an easier time competing against primarily mobile players than they did facing players on PS4 and Xbox, but in the past Epic has said they are confident that "Fortnite" has skilled players across all platforms.Here are the other important changes coming to "Fortnite" with the 8.10 patch.
Patch 8.01 adds style updates for six skins, and some new animations.
The Getaway, a fan-favorite Limited Time Mode returned with Patch 8.01.Advertisement
There's a new vehicle called The Baller. It's a small rolling capsule with a grappling... plunger that can be used to swing between buildings.
Vending machines have been around in "Fortnite" for about a year, but now they'll give out one free item with no materials required.Advertisement
Damage from the heavy assault rifle has been nerfed a bit.
Fortnite Season 8 is currently underway; be sure to check out the rest of our coverage to catch up on all of the updates.Advertisement
- IMF projects 11.5% growth rate for India in 2021, only major economy to record double digit growth
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar