The most notable - and expensive - financial fraud cases of all time
- Financial fraud is a major crime which often comes with heavy prison sentences for those involved.
- Enron, Cendant, and WorldCom are examples of massive companies torn apart by financial fraud and scandal.
- Individuals can commit these crimes as well, like a pastor and a self-proclaimed financial planner who recently defrauded 29 mostly elderly people of $3.4 million, according to an SEC complaint.
- Other cases include fraudsters trying to sell the Eiffel Tower and the Brooklyn Bridge.
Financial fraud is a serious white-collar crime that comes with heavy punishment, but the details of the misdeeds can be stranger than fiction.
Case in point: The SEC recently charged Kirbyjon Caldwell, a pastor based in Houston, and self-described financial planner Greg Smith in a scheme that allegedly involved luring innocent people into investing in old Chinese bonds with no worth, with the promise of large returns. Twenty nine mostly elderly investors were swindled out of $3.4 million.
A DOJ press release states that each defendant could face as many as 30 years in prison, a $1 million fine, and five years of supervised release, among other penalties.
Financial fraud isn't new, and the extent of the crime can vary significantly. In some cases, billions of dollars are lost and companies end up bankrupt. Most cases have at least one person, but often a group of fraudsters, going to prison.
Some cases involve forged documents, while others focus on trying to sell an item somebody doesn't own. Ponzi schemes are also common. Even bitcoin has been the source of fraud.
From corporate scandals, to major forgeries, to individual pyramid schemes, keep reading to see the most notable, and expensive, fraud cases of all time.
Frank Abergnale Jr.
The affair of the diamond necklace
The Hitler diaries
ZZZZ Best scam
James Paul Lewis Jr.
Bitcoin Savings and Trust
Matthew Harriton and Joseph Meli
George C. Parker
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- Microsoft President Brad Smith reportedly told Bill Gates more than a decade ago to stop emailing female employees
- Bank gross NPAs to rise to 8-9%, stressed assets to touch 10-11%, says CRISIL Report
- IIM-Ahmedabad incubator invests in an under-trial AI startup that can possibly predict cancer and lead to drug discovery
- HP launches a new campaign with Boman Irani to challenge cultural stereotypes around gaming
- WhatsApp rolls out redesigned icons, working on “Done” and “Undo” buttons for media editing
- Facebook tests new feature that will allow users to cross-post their videos and photos on Instagram
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons