The Most Talked-About Food In Every State
Spotted on FirstWeFeast, the researchers analyzed 3.5 million tweet with food hashtags that were taken from Twitter's API between October 2013 and May 2014.
The original purpose of the study was to determine if what people hashtag and talk about on Twitter can convey information about their community and health, such as their likelihood of diabetes, their weight, and even their political preferences.
What they found was that our food preferences can actually reveal a lot about us. Diabetes sufferers, for example, were more likely to tweet about Mexican, fried food, or bacon. Food also delineated party lines, with Democrats tweeting about vegan food, brunch, and the deli counter, while Republicans were all about lunch, snacks, and #party.
The researchers created visual maps of the food patterns they found as well, such as which foods each state hashtagged the most on Twitter.
Some of the findings were unsurprising, such as Texans loving brisket and Wisconsinites favoring sauerkraut. But other states had bizarre results, such as the spiky fruit durian being popular in Maine or Alaska loving to tweet about the herb tarragon.
It should be noted that these results don't necessarily show the state's favorite food, but the food that is most often hashtagged on Twitter. New York's "prune" result for example was not about the fruit at all, but is instead the name of a popular NYC restaurant.
- Mehmet Oz says he was 'exhausted' when he filmed viral 'Wegner's' gaffe, adding it's not a big deal because 'I've gotten my kids' names wrong as well'
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- New Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 brings premium SUV features in a compact car
- Best face scrubs for smooth and glowing skin in India
- Agnipath recruitment rally from Nov 22 to Dec 11 in Maha
- Realme 9i 5G vs Redmi Note 11 – price, specs and features compared
- This herb is the magic fertilizer needed to grow vegetables on Mars