The newest 'Smash Bros. Ultimate' character is a stylish guest star from a PlayStation game. Here's what you need to know about Joker.
- Joker, the silent protagonist of "Persona 5," is the newest playable character in "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."
- Joker fights with a knife and pistol, and can summon his persona Arsene to boost his attacks and turn the tide of battle.
- Like past guest characters, Joker arrives with his own stage, a wide selection of music from "Persona," and unique mechanics that reflect his original series.
- Joker can be purchased individually or with the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" Fighters Pass.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
"Super Smash. Bros. Ultimate" welcomed Joker from "Persona 5" as its second downloadable character in the huge Ver. 3.0 update released on April 17th. Joker was first revealed at The Game Awards in December 2018 and joins the roster of "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" despite never being in a game released on a Nintendo console.Joker's addition speaks to the booming popularity of the "Persona" franchise, which has primarily been exclusive to the PlayStation. He arrives in "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" with a new stage, Mementos, taken from "Persona 5," and about 10 songs taken from "Persona 3," "Persona 4" and "Persona 5."Advertisement
Read more: 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate' is getting a massive update on Wednesday - here's everything that's new
Like past guest characters like Cloud from "Final Fantasy 7" and Ryu from "Street Fighter," Joker introduces some brand new mechanics based on "Persona." Most importantly, he can summon his persona Arsene to enhance his attacks and give him new moves during the match.Both Joker and his stage are paid downloadable content. Players can unlock both Joker and his stage as paid downloadable content. The Joker DLC costs $6 on its own but players can also purchase the $25 Fighters Pass to unlock Joker and four more incoming fighters. The pass represents $5 in savings, since all five characters would come to $30 individually.
Here's everything you need to know about Joker, the newest downloadable character in "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate"
To unlock Joker, you'll need to buy him from the Nintendo eShop for $6, or buy the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" Fighters Pass for $25.
So exactly who is Joker?Advertisement
Joker can also choose to fight in his Shujin Academy uniform, if you prefer to smash with style.
Joker can summon his Persona, Arsene, to boost his attacks.Advertisement
Joker's stage, Mementos, will change color depending on what song is playing.
Joker's final smash, All-Out Attack, will summon the other Phantom Thieves from "Persona 5" to help him out.Advertisement
When he wins a match, Joker has his own special results screen styled after "Persona 5."
Joker's choice of weapons and unique Persona mechanic give him an unusual play-style.Advertisement
Like Bayonetta, Joker's primary special move is his gun.
Joker's grappling hook is his primary recovery move.Advertisement
Eiha is a dark magic spell that does damage over time.
Take damage using Rebel's Guard to rapidly increase the Rebellion Gauge and summon your Persona faster.Advertisement
Once your Persona is summoned, Joker's special attacks will be further enhanced, and he'll do more damage overall.
Joker gets a high-flying recovery move called Wings of Rebellion with his Persona activated.Advertisement
When Arsene is active, Rebel's Guard will become a dual counter move that defends against both physical attacks and projectiles. It still loses to throws though, so it's not invincible.
Joker is out now and stealing victories in "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate." Grab the DLC to try him out today!Advertisement
- Bird poop worth $470 million is at risk — could hold the key to saving seabirds across the world
- COVID crashed profit and Pidilite couldn’t fix it— yet
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate rises to 67.62% and case fatality rate drops to 2.07%