The next PlayStation won't arrive until May 2020 at the earliest
- Sony's next PlayStation console is deep in development, but it still has a long way to go until it's available to buy.
- The next PlayStation console, widely expected to be named PlayStation 5, won't arrive until May 2020 at the earliest.
- That's according to Sony, which told reporters that it won't release its next-gen game console any time in the next 12 months.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Sony's next PlayStation is deep in production, but that doesn't mean it's on the verge of launching.
Quite the opposite in fact: Sony says that it's next PlayStation game console won't arrive until at least May 2020.
The news comes out of Sony's annual financial release, which outlined the Japanese electronics giant's coming year - and, notably, doesn't include the launch of the next PlayStation console.
The console hasn't been officially named, but it is widely believed to be be named "PlayStation 5" given historic precedent - PlayStations 1 through 4 say hello.
Among the details:
- The next PlayStation has a new central processing unit and a graphics processing unit from AMD. The former is based on AMD's Ryzen line, while the latter is part of Radeon's Navi GPU line.
- It contains a solid state drive instead of a hard disc drive, intended to dramatically decrease loading times for games.
- It supports PlayStation 4 games as well as PlayStation 5, and is also compatible with PlayStation VR headsets.
- It's capable of powering 8K visuals and producing "Ray Tracing" effects - the long way of saying, "games will look better than ever."
And now, one more detail we know: It won't arrive until at least May 2020. Applying past precedent here as well, it's likely Sony won't launch the PlayStation 5 until holiday 2020 - but that remains to be seen.
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World