The real US defense budget is even bigger than you think - here's a dollar-by-dollar tour of the national security state
- The Trump administration's most recent budget includes $750 billion for the Pentagon.
- That near-record sum is only part of the US national-security spending, the total of which is much higher, according to William D. Hartung and Mandy Smithberger.
- Visit INSIDER's homepage for more stories.
In its latest budget request, the Trump administration is asking for a near-record $750 billion for the Pentagon and related defense activities, an astonishing figure by any measure.If passed by Congress, it will, in fact, be one of the largest military budgets in American history, topping peak levels reached during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. And keep one thing in mind: that $750 billion represents only part of the actual annual cost of our national security state.Advertisement
There are at least 10 separate pots of money dedicated to fighting wars, preparing for yet more wars, and dealing with the consequences of wars already fought. So the next time a president, a general, a secretary of defense, or a hawkish member of Congress insists that the US military is woefully underfunded, think twice. A careful look at US defense expenditures offers a healthy corrective to such wildly inaccurate claims.
Now, let's take a brief dollar-by-dollar tour of the US national security state of 2019, tallying the sums up as we go, and see just where we finally land (or perhaps the word should be "soar"), financially speaking.
The Pentagon's "Base" budget.
The war budget.Advertisement
The Department of Energy/Nuclear budget.
"Defense related activities."Advertisement
The five categories outlined above make up the budget of what's officially known as "national defense." Under the Budget Control Act, this spending should have been capped at $630 billion. The $761.7 billion proposed for the 2020 budget is, however, only the beginning of the story.
The Veterans Affairs budget.Advertisement
The Homeland Security budget.
The International Affairs budget.Advertisement
The Intelligence budget
Defense share of interest on the national debt.Advertisement
Final tally: $1.2542 trillion
- 24 fresh COVID-19 cases in Assam, total rises to 798
- COVID-19: 75 new cases in Karnataka, total infections rise
- Air passenger who took IndiGo Bengaluru-Madurai flight tests positive for COVID-19
- Microsoft starts rolling out Windows 10 May update with built-in Linux, gaming improvements and more
- COVID-19: 128 fresh cases in AP, tally rises to 3,245