The security researcher who stopped the WannaCry attack has reportedly been 'detained' in the US
Paul Szoldra/Business Insider
Marcus Hutchins, who goes by the online handle MalwareTechBlog, was visiting the Def Con security conference in Las Vegas before reportedly being detained.
The FBI and the UK National Crime Agency did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
An unnamed friend of Hutchins told Motherboard: "I've spoken to the US Marshals again and they say they have no record of Marcus being in the system. At this point we've been trying to get in contact with Marcus for 18 hours and nobody knows where he's been taken ... We still don't know why Marcus has been arrested and now we have no idea where in the US he's been taken to and we're extremely concerned for his welfare."
Twitter user Andrew MAbbitt wrote that he "can confirm @MalwareTechBlog was detained yesterday and FBI/US Marshalls won't tell me where he is ... I'm working on getting a lawyer for @MalwareTechBlog as he has no legal representation and no visitors. I'll be crowdfunding legal fees soon."
The WannaCry attack infected computers in more than 150 companies, crippling hospitals and telecoms firms, before Hutchins stumbled across a kill switch while investigating it. He has been hailed as a hero for stopping the malware, which infected the UK NHS (National Health Service), Spanish telecoms firm Telefonica, and logistics company FedEx, among other companies.
I'm working on getting a lawyer for @MalwareTechBlog as he has no legal representation and no visitors. I'll be crowdfunding legal fees soon- Andrew Mabbitt (@MabbsSec) August 3, 2017
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- This frequent flyer who's been 'skiplagging' for a decade says she has 'no remorse and no angst'
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore