The stunningly detailed re-creation of Notre-Dame Cathedral in an 'Assassin's Creed' game could help with the rebuilding efforts. Here's what it looks like up close.
- A fire ravaged the iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris on Monday.
- French President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to rebuild the 800-year-old landmark.
- French game publisher Ubisoft, the company behind "Assassin's Creed Unity," could be an unlikely source of help: The game contains a lavishly detailed, historically accurate depiction of Notre-Dame Cathedral.
- The game is set during the French Revolution, and it allows players to explore every inch of Notre-Dame as its main centerpiece. New videos showcase what it looks like.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
A fire on Monday devastated the iconic Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris.The structure, including its two main towers, remains intact, but its spire collapsed before firefighters could contain the blaze. French President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to rebuild the famous cathedral, tweeting in French: "We will rebuild it. All together."Advertisement
One potential source of help in those efforts is the 2014 video game "Assassin's Creed Unity," which is set in Paris.
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
That's because the game, which takes place during the French Revolution, has a lavishly detailed, historically accurate depiction of Notre-Dame Cathedral.
In the wake of this week's fire at Notre-Dame, YouTube users have started creating detailed walkthroughs of the cathedral in game. Given the game's graphical fidelity and stunningly accurate depiction, these walkthroughs offer an amazing opportunity to pore over every inch of the cathedral.Advertisement
The game's main character, a Frenchman named Arno, is able to explore the entire cathedral, both inside and out. From the stunning interior ...
... to impossible overhead shots you couldn't actually experience in real life. In fact, a signature element of "Assassin's Creed" games is the ability to climb to the very top of iconic structures.Advertisement
As detailed in a 2014 feature published in The Verge, Caroline Miousse, an Ubisoft level artist, spent two years poring over details of the cathedral to create as accurate a depiction as possible in the game.
One YouTube user's extremely thorough walkthrough offers a much deeper look at the game's lovingly detailed re-creation of Notre-Dame Cathedral — check it out right here:Advertisement
- IPO rush this week — CAMS, Chemcon and Angel Broking gear up to hit the market
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart