The top US general in Europe says he needs more troops and warships to take on Russia
U.S. Army photo by Gertrud Zach
- The top US general in Europe told Congress Tuesday that he needs more firepower to counter Russia.
- He requested more ground troops, a robust naval presence, more cyber assets, and increased intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance capabilities.
- "I am not comfortable yet with the deterrent posture that we have in Europe," Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti, head of European Command and NATO's supreme allied commander Europe, said, warning that Russia's military modernization erodes America's advantages.
View all Offers
- 68% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Men's Parka Coat (12512Q_Tan_Large)₹ 899₹ 2725Buy On
Amazon Brand - Symbol Men's Regular Lounge Pants₹ 509₹ 1599Buy On
- 70% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Women's Parka Coat (43315AZ_Pink_Extra Large)₹ 2099₹ 2099Buy On
- 76% OFF
TAB91 Women's Classic Acrylic Sweater (TWC-1413-B_Grey Melange_S)₹ 1799₹ 1799Buy On
- 64% OFF
Qube By Fort Collins Women's Fleece Sweatshirt (806Q_Blue_Medium)₹ 999₹ 999Buy On
The top US general in Europe told Congress Tuesday that he needs a lot more firepower to counter the threat from Russia.
"I am not comfortable yet with the deterrent posture that we have in Europe," Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti, head of European Command and NATO's supreme allied commander Europe, told the Senate Armed Services Committee, Stars and Stripes reported.
"While the US maintains a global military superiority over Russia, evolving Russian capabilities threaten to erode our competitive military advantage," he explained. He told lawmakers there continue to be shortfalls across all warfighting domains.
He requested more troops and warships, as well as more cyber assets and more intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance assets to confront Russia, which boldly seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and is rapidly modernizing its armed forces to "erode" the US military's advantage.
"In light of Russia's modernizing and increasingly aggressive force posture," the general explained, "EUCOM recommends augmenting our assigned and rotational forces to enhance our deterrence posture." He added that he has requested the addition of two more US Navy destroyers to bolster strength of the four ballistic-missile defense capable ships already stationed in Spain.
"I've asked for two more destroyers for EUCOM," he said, according to CNN. "We need greater capacity particularly given the modernization and growth of the ... Russian fleets in Europe." He said that he would like to see carrier and amphibious strike groups rotating through Europe more frequently.
He also encouraged regular naval activities in the Black Sea. "They frankly don't like us in the Black Sea," the general said. "It's international waters and we should sail and fly there." As is, the US routinely sends destroyers into the waterway, where they are shadowed by Russian vessels.
Russia is in the process of bolstering the strength of its forces on NATO's doorstep, adding new tank and missile units to its Baltic forces.
Russia argues that its actions are a direct response to NATO's military build-up. "We are forced to provide an adequate response, carrying out strategic containment events with the plans of stepping up combat capabilities of military formations and units," Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu recently told Russian state media.
Sen. Jim Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma and the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, argued for greater deterrence capabilities Tuesday, according to Stars and Stripes, stating that any "perceived weakness will only provoke further aggression from Putin."
- Bajaj Finance, Tech Mahindra, Tata Power and other top stocks on January 18
- Shrinking car and two-wheeler sales is now hurting India’s biggest private bank
- The best pay masters in the gig economy aren’t good enough
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Top deals on recliners, sofas and more home furnishing items
- Best fashion and beauty deals during Amazon sale
- Mythology audiobooks
- Electric car Championship
- India's win in Centurion
- Millionaires Employees
- Car with Waiting Period
- Tax Saving Investment
- Urban Company
- New Year 2022
- Upcoming new laptops
- Bank Holidays in January
- Valuable NFT Projects
- Xiaomi 11i hypercharge
- GST Input tax credit
- Public Holidays in 2022
- RBL Stocks
- Upcoming Smartphones in 2022