The TSA had its busiest day ever over Thanksgiving weekend
- A record number of passengers and airline staff were screened at TSA airport checkpoints over the Thanksgiving holiday, the agency said Wednesday.
- 2.7 million people is now the new record, topping previous Thanksgiving weekends and Summer Fridays.
More than 2.7 million people passed through airport security checkpoints on Sunday, making the Thanksgiving travel day the busiest in the Transportation Security Administration's 17-year history.
The new record is about 16,000 more passengers and crew than the previous record, set on the same Sunday after Thanksgiving in 2004. Other top travel days include Thursdays and Friday's in the summer months, especially around the Fourth of July.
Here's are the top ten travel days since TSA was established shortly after September 11, 2001.
"It was all hands on deck during the Thanksgiving holiday week," David Pekoske, administrator of the TSA, said in a press release.
"Close coordination with airline and airport partners, new technology, enhanced screening and more travelers enrolled in TSA Pre✓, TSA used every tool to secure air travel for the millions of passengers traveling to their holiday destinations."
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?