The Video Game Hall of Fame just chose the 4 new titles getting inducted in 2019 - here they are
The Strong Museum of Play
- The Strong National Museum of Play has inducted four new titles into its World Video Game Hall of Fame: "Super Mario Kart," "Mortal Kombat," "Microsoft Solitaire," and "Colossal Cave Adventure."
- The 2019 World Video Game Hall of Fame inductees were chosen for their iconic status and overall influence on popular culture.
- Every game inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame is hosted in The Strong Museum's interactive arcade exhibit, eGameRevolution.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The World Video Game Hall of Fame has announced its 2019 inductees: "Super Mario Kart," "Mortal Kombat," "Microsoft Solitaire," and "Colossal Cave Adventure."The four inductees were chosen from a field of 12 finalists that also included "Candy Crush Saga," "Centipede," "Dance Dance Revolution," "Half-Life," "Myst," "NBA 2K," "Sid Meier's Civilization," and "Super Smash Bros. Melee." Advertisement
Based in Rochester, New York, The Strong Museum National Museum of Play established the World Video Game Hall of Fame in 2015 and has now inducted a total of 20 titles. Nominees are judged based on their long-lasting popularity, international appeal, and overall influence on pop culture. Games that join the hall of fame are also added to The Strong Museum's interactive arcade exhibit, eGameRevolution.
Each of this year's inductees is at least 25 years old. "Colossal Cave Adventure" was released in 1972, making it the oldest game in the bunch. "Mario Kart" and "Mortal Kombat" are still two of the most popular video game franchises in the world today, and "Microsoft Solitaire" might be the most played video game of all time.Here's what you need to know about the 2019 World Video Game Hall of Fame Inductees:
The violence of "Mortal Kombat" led to congressional hearings in 1993.
Also released in 1992, "Super Mario Kart" launched one of Nintendo's most successful franchises.Advertisement
"Colossal Cave Adventure" helped inspire an entire genre of text-based fantasy games when it was released in 1976.
"Microsoft Solitaire" has been included with Windows since 1990, and is one of the most commonly played video games of all time.Advertisement
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart
- 30 COVID vaccine candidates being developed: Health Ministry
- INTERVIEW: Paytm trains its guns on Google while the payments app is back in Play Store
- IN PICS: Mitra and other humanoid robots help COVID-19 patients stuck in quarantine across hospitals in India
- Brands that demonstrate they care for consumers, communities and the environment will find favor with today’s and tomorrow’s consumers: Preeti Reddy, Kantar