The Walkman is turning 40 - here are 13 other gadgets you didn't realize were over 20 years old
- The Sony Walkman turns 40 on Monday.
- Here are 13 other gadgets you probably didn't realize had already passed the 20-year milestone.
The Sony Walkman turns 40 on July 1. The portable cassette stereo revolutionized how we consume music on the go, quickly seeped into pop-culture, and meaningfully preceded Jony Ive's iPod design.The Walkman was inspired by Sony's cofounder Masaru Ibuka, who wanted a portable device he could use to listen to music on long flights.Advertisement
Sony released the TPS-L2 Walkman in July 1979 in Japan. The device made it stateside by Christmas 1979, and by the next summer, The New York Times was calling it "the newest status symbol around town" in an article recently uncovered by Mentalfloss.
In honor of the Walkman turning 40, here are 13 other gadgets and products that you didn't realize were already over 20 years old:
Nintendo Game Boy
Sony's robot dog, Aibo ERS-110Advertisement
USB Flash Drive
- Farmers protest against three farm bills turn violent after protestors set a tractor on fire near India Gate
- Bank stocks gain as Supreme Court defers verdict on loan moratorium case to October 5
- Dentsu Aegis Network is now dentsu international
- Top stock movers — Future Retail, Hero MotoCorp, Indoco Remedies, Surya Roshni, PVR, Vodafone-Idea and more
- MX Player’s Aashram garners 300 million+ streams in less than a month