What are people eating in top eight Indian cities, according to Swiggy
Swiggy is a Bangalore-based food delivery startup that collated data from eight cities (Bangalore,
ALSO READ: Guess what’s cooking? UberEATS is coming to India this year!
It has partnered with over 12,000 restaurants across these locations.
These are the highlights:
• Main course: the Indian cuisine--in its various north and south avatars--emerged more popular than its American and Chinese competitors.
Most popular non-vegetarian main course item was chicken biryani, except in Delhi-NCR where top six dishes were dal makhani-naan, burgers, chole bhature, egg rolls, masala dosa and pav bhaji.
ALSO READ: The Jaipur Lit Fest tried to be completely cashless and failed. Here's what happened.
• Biryani capital, Hyderabad, made up for Delhi’s underwhelming response by ordering biryani even during snack time--between lunch and dinner--when orders in other cities gravitated toward street food and burgers.
• Regional cuisines held sway in their geographies and in diametrically opposite locations. For example Delhi-NCR, apart from ordering chole bhature, loved to order masala dosa.
AdvertisementALSO READ: This IoT device will help you save money and reduce your water consumption
Similarly, Chennai showed a healthy appetite for north Indian delicacies. Mumbai remained truly cosmopolitan by ordering from every cuisine, and Chinese dishes found favor mostly in Delhi-NCR and Kolkata.
• Most price-conscious city - Price-wise, Pune came out as the most price-conscious city due to its large student population. Rest of the locations did not seem to see the price as a barrier to getting good food home delivered instantly.
Popular on BI
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months
- Qmin has been profitable business for IHCL from day one, says Jehangir Press