Dunkin' just added avocado toast to its menu - about 5 years after the trend peaked
- Dunkin' added avocado toast as a new item on its Spring 2021 menu.
- Some food lovers on Twitter rejoiced, while others were unimpressed.
- But Dunkin' is years late to the avocado toast trend, which peaked circa 2016.
Starting today, foodies can purchase avocado toast from the chain for $2.99 (plus tax) at all US locations.
Dunkin' Avocado Toast features what it calls a "creamy, mouthwatering avocado spread" that's made from avocado, sea salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. The ingredients are spread onto toasted sourdough bread and topped with everything bagel seasoning.
This release comes after an eventful 2020 for Dunkin', which overtook social media by launching successful collaborations (including one with TikTok star Charli D'Amelio) and marketing to Generation Z.
Still, Dunkin' is about five years late to the once-colossal food trend.
People on Twitter weighed in on the latest Dunkin' menu item - and cracked jokes about millennials
After the avocado toast news spread online, some users hopped onto Twitter to share excitement and early reviews.
"This may be a controversial tweet, but the Dunkin' avocado toast was a 10/10 for me," one person wrote.
—† (@jessica_audia) February 24, 2021
Even those who were slightly less enthused about the flavors of the avocado spread agreed that it was good enough to order again.
—Raven Brunner (@raventbrunner) February 24, 2021
But others were more hesitant to hop onto the bandwagon.
"I want to meet whoever is brave enough to order Dunkin's new avocado toast," one person tweeted.
Some who tried it didn't think the flavor was good at all, calling the spread "too lemony." Others joked that the chain would start trying to tap into other stereotypically millennial food trends, like charcuterie boards.
—Cat Dumm (@CatherineDumm) February 24, 2021
—Chris Abaray (@ChrisAbaray) February 24, 2021
Many took the opportunity to make jokes about millennials and avocado toast, often hailed as the generation's favorite food.
"I got Dunkin Donuts Avocado toast, am I a millennial now?" one person asked.
—Eagle Fang Karl Brousaides (@Kaxtrem) February 21, 2021
More than one tweet referenced a 2017 quote by Tim Gurner, an Australian millionaire who suggested that millennials can't afford homes because they're spending money on "smashed avocados for $19."
"broooo, dunkin donuts has avocado toast now. as a millennial, i can absolutely forget ever owning a house," someone wrote.
—Kyle Gaddo (@kylegaddo) February 23, 2021
Avocado toast's popularity skyrocketed in the 2010s, partly thanks to Gwyneth Paltrow, but it's been around much longer
Although Dunkin' just added the millennial favorite to its menu, avocado toast has been a delicious and popular snack for much longer.
The Washington Post reported that while avocado toast has always been popular in places like Mexico, Australia, and California, one of the more recent stateside iterations came from Cafe Gitane in New York.
Cafe Gitane became known as the "OG of avocado toast," which had been on its menu since 2006, according to the Washington Post. Food blogs subsequently published recipes based on Cafe Gitane's version, which added red pepper flakes.
But the brunch dish really became an online fixation after Gwyneth Paltrow included an avocado-toast recipe in her 2013 cookbook, "It's All Good," the Washington Post reported.
An analysis of Google Trends shows that searches for "avocado toast" really started trending upward in 2016. It was also named the top breakfast trend in 2017, according to a report from the health-tracking app MyFitnessPal.
Food bloggers began copying Paltrow's recipe and creating their own versions to share on social media. Even Kylie Jenner shared a divisive sweet-and-spicy avocado toast recipe back in September.
- At least 21 people, mostly teens, were found dead in a South Africa bar. None of them had any visible wounds.
- Lay’s, Kurkure and Bingo are taking over Indian snacks like Aloo Bhujia, Murukku
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Akash Ambani to head Reliance Jio - that’s just phase I of Mukesh Ambani’s succession plan
- Maha crisis: Thackeray appeals to the rebels to come back
- Tata Motors to increase price of its commercial vehicle segment from July 1
- Best drilling machine for home use in India
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee's biopic is on the works based on the book, The Untold Vajpayee