I tried ButcherBox, the service that sends you a month's supply of grass-fed meat — here's what it was like
When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- Not all cuts of
meatare created equal, as I found out when I tried ButcherBox, a subscription service that curates boxes of grass-fed, hormone-free, and humanely raised beef, chicken, and pork.
- The meat, which arrives frozen and vacuum-packed so you can stock up for the whole month, was tender and juicy, and it tasted amazing.
- Due to high demand, ButcherBox is only available to new customers via waitlist. Current account holders can still sign in and control their subscription preferences.
ButcherBox calls itself the "friendly neighborhood butcher." But since not everyone has access to a local butcher who really cares about meat, ButcherBox brings the experience online so you can let the pros fill a box with your favorite proteins (or choose them yourself) and get them delivered to your door. In addition to beef, the company also sells cuts of chicken and pork.
How ButcherBox is differentWhen I buy supermarket meat, I know nothing about its origins or how the animal was treated. ButcherBox, on the other hand, only sources meats with the following criteria.
- 100% grass-fed and grass-finished: the cattle live their entire life eating on a pasture
- Antibiotic-free and no added hormones
- Free-range, organic, and pasture-raised
- Certified humane: the chickens have access to the outdoors and room to move around and interact with each other naturally
- Antibiotic-free and no added hormones
- Heritage breed (Duroc, Berkshire, and Red Wattle): do not have flavor bred out of them, which is typically done to promote rapid weight gain
The difference in taste and texture — a direct result of how the animals are raised — is huge. When cattle eat grass and get exercise, their meat has less fat, more healthy omega-3s, and more vitamins. Humane and ethical practices translate into better meat — so both parties benefit.
How to use ButcherBoxNote (6/16/20): New ButcherBox customers must join a waitlist due to increased demand. Those on the waitlist will be notified via email when a spot opens up. Once you receive the email, you will have approximately 48 hours to sign up for ButcherBox using your unique link. A customer representative told Insider
1. Choose your plan.
There are five different subscription plans: all beef, beef and chicken, beef and pork, a mixed box of all three types, and a custom box.All pre-curated boxes contain eight to 11 pounds of meat and cost $129, while the custom box contains nine to 14 pounds of meat and costs $149. Advertisement
2. Select any add-ons.
Add-on options vary based on season and availability, and they can include fish like salmon, or other cuts of meat like bacon and breakfast sausage.3. Receive your ButcherBox at your door every month or every other month. Advertisement
The meat comes frozen and vacuum-packed in a cardboard box with an insulated liner and dry ice. My box arrived at my apartment at 3 p.m., and all the meat was still frozen once I came home and opened the package at 9 p.m. I like variety and rarely discriminate when it comes to
Since all the meat is vacuum-packed, it'll stay fresh for a while. Now, just cook and enjoy. Your taste buds are going to thank you once you experience these delicious cuts.
ButcherBox reviewThe beef, chicken, and pork I tried from ButcherBox were considerably juicier and more tender than the average cuts I get from the market, and they were all delicious. It's like eating fresh, melt-in-your-mouth sushi for the first time after only eating $10 pre-packed rolls your whole life. You can immediately taste the difference and you seriously doubt you can ever go back. Advertisement
In case you want to pause or adjust your subscription, you can easily do so from your account page. While I personally didn't have problems with delivery or account settings, other customers have experienced issues, and ButcherBox's BBB accreditation was previously removed due to unanswered customer reviews on its page. However, it appears the company has resolved these problems and now has an A+ rating.
The bottom line
ButcherBox does the tough work for you — curating, selecting, and delivering good meat — so you can focus on enjoying it. The value, quality, and convenience of the service are excellent, and my meals have never tasted better.As Father's Day approaches, a month's supply of ButcherBox's top-quality meats also makes the perfect gift for a carnivorous dad who hates grocery shopping but loves cooking and eating. Advertisement
- Film industry wishes speedy recovery for Big B, son Abhishek after they test COVID-19 positive
- 535 new COVID-19 cases in Assam
- Expand plasma therapy facilities for COVID-19 patients: CM
- West Bengal records biggest single-day jump of 1,344 COVID-19 cases
- Amitabh Bachchan and son Abhishek test positive for COVID-19, hospitalised