Pastry chef Jacques Torres shares his easy recipe for a chocolate mousse dessert using pantry items, and it involves baking cake in a frying pan
- Insider asked pastry chef and chocolatier,
Jacques Torres, to help us make a delicious dessertat home.
- The "
Nailed It!" star walked me through making a layered chocolate mousse cake.
recipeinvolved bakingcake in a frying pan which turned out be faster and just as delicious as using the oven.
- Torres also shared a baking hack for parents. He says he mixes 3 tablespoons of cake mix with 2 tablespoons of water and microwaves it for 1 minute to create fast cupcakes for his kids.
Baking at home is a great way to pass the time while staying inside, but it can be challenging if you can't find the right ingredients.
So, Insider asked Jacques Torres — pastry chef, chocolatier, and the head judge on the
Torres showed me how to make the dessert from start to finish, and demonstrated how to make cake quickly in a frying pan as part of the recipe.
As a bonus, he offered a foolproof recipe for when you need a quick cupcake fix: Combine 3 tablespoons of cake mix with 2 tablespoons of water, put it in a cup, and microwave for 1 minute to create fast cupcakes. Torres uses a mixture of half angel
Read the original article on Insider
- 1 box vanilla or yellow cake mix and the ingredients listed on the box
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) chocolate — 60% dark chocolate
- 20 grams (5 teaspoons) sugar
- 80 grams (1/3 cup) whole milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- A few drops of freshly squeezed lemon
- Butter to grease your frying pan
- Whatever berries you have
- Whiskey, kirsch, or rum (if you would like to make a more adult version)
Fry up some cake
Torres used half vanilla and half angel food cake mix, but I used yellow cake mix and it worked great! He says to follow the instructions on the box to make your cake batter.
Grease a large frying pan with butter over low heat. Then, put some of your cake mix into the frying pan, covering the bottom like a giant pancake. Cover the pan.
After a few minutes, you can flip your cake and then a couple of minutes later, it will be done. It should take about 5 minutes total depending on the size of your cake. (Mine took a few minutes more because I poured a thick layer of cake — much thicker than instructed — in a 10-inch pan.)
Prepare the chocolate mousse
In a saucepan, add your milk and bring to a boil. Then, add 6 ounces (about 3/4 of a cup) of chocolate. Stir it together on the stove, mixing until all the chocolate has melted. Add the egg yolk and mix well. Set aside.
In a stand mixer or a separate bowl with a hand mixer, whip the egg whites while adding the sugar gradually. Add a few drops of fresh-squeezed lemon juice here to keep the egg whites from separating. Continue to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks just form. Then, gently fold the chocolate in.
Layer in glasses
Use a measuring cup or anything that is the same size as the bottom of your glasses, to cut your cake into little circles. Then, place one cake circle in the bottom of the glass.
If you want to make an adult version of this you can add some whiskey, kirsch, or rum on top of the first layer of cake.
Add some chocolate mousse on top of the cake. Layer some berries or fruit on top of the mousse.
Then add another cake circle, some more mousse, and top with more berries.
If you are Torres or extremely ambitious, you can temper some chocolate and cut out hearts to add to the top of your dessert. But that isn't going to happen at my house.
Chill and serve
Put your glasses in the refrigerator to chill a few hours before serving but don't leave it in there too long! If you leave it overnight, Torres says your mousse will deflate.
And voila, you have your dessert.
- Epic Games announces $20 million prize pool for Fortnite Champion Series in 2021
- Adani Green Energy arm commissions 150-MW solar power plant at Kutch, third in a month
- Jack Ma is back!
- Jack Ma resurfaces – Alibaba founder makes his first public appearance after he was feared to be “missing” for nearly two months
- iPhone 12 mini, Galaxy S20 FE, Redmi Note 9 Pro Max and other smartphone deals on Amazon Great Republic Day sale