11 astounding facts about Liechtenstein, the tiny European country that's 8 times smaller than Los Angeles and has the 2nd-highest per capita GDP in the world
Getty Images/HoLam Cheung
- Liechtenstein is a tiny European nation nestled between Switzerland and Austria.
- Home to about 38,000 people, it's the fourth-smallest and the second-least-visited country in Europe.
- With an area of only 62 square miles, it's nearly eight times smaller than the city of Los Angeles.
- It has virtually zero national debt, and the per capita GDP is the second-highest in the world.
- Liechtenstein's only billionaire is worth half the country's GDP.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Liechtenstein keeps a lower profile than its neighbors, Switzerland and Austria.
The tiny country is the second-least-visited in Europe, and it's home to only about 38,000 people. At about 62 square miles, it's nearly eight times smaller than the city of Los Angeles. It has no airport and no coastline, and its largest city has only 6,000 residents.
But despite its size, Liechtenstein has a per capita GDP of $165,028 - the second highest in the world, surpassed only by Monaco. And it has virtually no national debt.
Read on for 11 astounding facts about Liechtenstein, its people, and its economy.
1. Liechtenstein, a tiny European country nestled between Switzerland and Austria, is nearly eight times smaller than the city of Los Angeles.
2. Its largest city is home to only 6,000 people.
3. Liechtenstein is the only country in the world with 100% of its territory in the Alpine region.
4. It's the second-least-visited nation in Europe.
5. Liechtenstein's per capita GDP is $165,028 — the second-highest in the world.
6. Liechtenstein has virtually zero national debt.
7. The country's only billionaire is worth 50% of the entire nation's GDP — and he built his fortune on dental products.
8. Liechtenstein hasn't had an army since 1868.
9. More than half of Liechtenstein's workforce commutes into the country every day from neighboring countries.
10. Only 406 people were unemployed in Liechtenstein in 2016 — and that includes those who were on maternity leave.
11. Liechtenstein has no airport.
- Retail auto sales grow 11% in September, but still below pre-Covid levels, says FADA
- Slow recovery of low income households slowed down India's economic recovery: Kotak report
- Best cars under ₹20 lakh to buy this festive season
- India saw 20.5 billion online transactions worth ₹36 trillion in Q2: report
- Nobel prize winner Svante Paabo's DNA discoveries offer clues as to what makes us human
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World