2 people are buried on a runway at a US airport where hundreds of planes land every day, and many people have no idea
- When a
Georgiaairport expanded a runwayduring World War II, it paved over a family burial site.
- The family's descendants allowed all but four of the 100 graves to be moved.
- Two graves remain at the edge of runway 10 and 28, while two more are off to the side.
While runway 10 at Savannah/Hilton Head International
The international airport was built on former farmland, according to its website.
The removal of the graves was met with resistance from descendants of the Dotson family, according to The State, a newspaper in Columbia, South Carolina. Ultimately, all but four of the graves were relocated to Bonaventure Cemetery, the media outlet Wide Open Country reported in 2019.
Believing that their ancestors wouldn't have wanted to abandon the land they worked to cultivate, the Dotson family insisted on keeping the matriarch and patriarch in their original burial spot, according to The State.
The graves of Richard and Catherine Dotson, the farmers who originally owned the land and died in 1884 and 1877, sit on the edges of runways 10 and 28. The marker on Richard's grave says "At rest," while Catherine's says "Gone home to rest," according to The State.
Two more graves of Dotson relatives - those of Daniel Hueston and John Dotson - can be found nearby in the brush near the airport's most active runway, according to the airport's website.
The airport website says these graves are "the only ones in the world embedded in an active, 9,350-foot runway."
"It's said that if you are coming in to land just after sundown, two figures will appear just along the north side of the runway," a regional airline captain, Lisa Ruedy, wrote for the website All Things Aero, according to The State.
Family members are allowed to visit with an airport escort, according to The State, though they are not permitted to leave flowers. It is, after all, an active runway.
The airport did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
This is an update of an article originally written by Sophie-Claire Hoeller.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- Wipro, Infosys, Tech Mahindra revoke offer letters given to freshers: Reports
- Reliance Jio and Airtel 5G prices may be affordable for now but expected to increase after wider rollout
- Redmi Pad Review: A decent tablet for the masses
- Electronics Mart India IPO is subscribed 1.69 times on day 1
- Big B’s best movies are back on the big screens - Here are 11 you can watch
- Reliance Jio to begin beta trial of 5G in four cities on Dussehra with unlimited data
- With 950 billionaires, Asia outnumbers all other regions: Forbes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World