7 of the world's most haunted castles and mansions - and a look at their dark histories
Photo by Gerard SIOEN/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
- Some of the most haunted castles and mansions in the world are rooted in history, folklore, and fables.
- Serving as time capsules of a sort, the properties tell the stories of those who came before - and those who many believe have yet to pass on.
- These seven once-luxurious residences are among the spookiest places outside of the US.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Some of the most haunted places in the world give us a deeper look into the history of past cultures.From Château de Trécesson in France (supposedly haunted by a young woman who was believed to be buried alive on the premises) to Morgan House in India (said to still be visited by the spectral, tortured wife who once lived there), these locations are not only home to alleged ghosts, but also to the legends that have been passed down for decades - or even centuries.
And if not that - well, then at least for a pretty solid Instagram picture.Here are some of the most haunted, once-opulent former residences in the world.
Beijing, China — Chaonei No. 81, or "Chaonei Church," is noted as being "Beijing's most celebrated haunted house." While no records exist that explain why the home was built, there have been numerous disappearances associated with the property.
Brittany, France — The Château de Trécesson is said to be haunted by a woman who was buried alive on the property.Advertisement
Kalimpong, India — Morgan House is said to be haunted by one Ms. Morgan, who died in the home and was reportedly tortured by her husband prior to her death.
Toronto, Ontario — Casa Loma has ghost stories dating back to the 1930s.Advertisement
Batu Gajah, Malaysia — Kellie’s Castle is considered one of the most haunted places in Malaysia.
Bogota, Colombia — The Casa de la Poesia is said to be haunted by the poet who once lived there.Advertisement
County Offaly, Ireland — Charleville Castle is thought to be one of the most haunted places in all of Europe.
- China planned in advance and 'provoked' Galwan Valley clash with India, indicates US report
- Geo-tagged bottles in the Ganges river show how plastic pollution can travel thousands of kilometres in just a few months
- CBSE rules out online exams, says 2021 board exams to be held in written mode
- Sputnik V vaccine: Russian President Putin orders mass COVID-19 vaccinations from next week
- Top stocks to watch — Future Retail, RIL, Bharti Infratel, Airtel, Wipro, Dabur, DHFL, SpiceJet, and others