A day in the life of 2 self-made millionaires who retired at age 31 to travel the world and have already visited more than 40 countries so far
Courtesy of Kristy Shen
- Kristy Shen and Bryce Leung retired from their computer engineering jobs at age 31 as self-made millionaires.
- They've since traveled the world - so far, they've been to 40-plus countries.
- Shen and Leung are currently in Thailand, where they make time for wellness, passion projects, and their friends.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Kristy Shen and Bryce Leung know how to budget.
Shen told Business Insider they've traveled to 40-plus countries so far. They're currently in Chiang Mai, Thailand, for a three-month stay and plan to head to Singapore after.
Shen and Leung are the authors of a blog (Millennial Revolution) and a book ("Quit Like a Millionaire"), both about the FIRE (financial independence, retire early) community. These passion projects keep them busy, but they also spend their days enjoying Chiang Mai's local delights, hanging out with friends, and taking care of themselves - they find time for exercise, massages, and meditation.
Here's what a typical day looks like for Shen and Leung in Chiang, Mai, Thailand.
Five years ago at age 31, self-made millionaires Kristy Shen and Bryce Leung retired from their computer engineering jobs to travel the world.
They've been living in Chiang Mai, Thailand, for two months. Around 8:30 a.m., they wake up in the condo they've been renting for $650 a month.
Shen and Leung aren't fans of big breakfasts, so they usually have something small and quick half an hour after waking up.
At 10 a.m., they head up to the condo's rooftop garden to meditate with friends, complete with views of Mount Doi Suthep.
After, Shen reads a book on meditation for an hour. Her favorite author in the genre is Thich Nhat Hanh.
At noon, Shen and Leung meet back up with friends for a lunch at "Rustic and Blue The Farm Shop," which Sheng said is a popular brunch restaurant in the city serving western food.
After lunch, they set up shop for an hour at coworking space CAMP to answer blog and book reader emails and respond to media requests.
At 2 p.m., they sign copies of "Quit Like a Millionaire" at bookstore Asia Books in Chiang Mai.
At 3 p.m., Shen and Leung reward themselves with an hourlong foot massage at a Thai spa that only costs $7 per person.
After, they head to the gym for an hour — something they had little time for when they were working, Shen said.
At 5 p.m., they relax post-workout at the condo pool and sauna.
At 6 p.m., Shen and Leung head to Digital Nomad Summit, a conference for travelers and location independent entrepreneurs.
For the next two hours, they meet and mingle with entrepreneurs and FIRE bloggers to talk about their traveling lifestyles.
At 8 p.m., Shen, Leung, and their friends head to an Indian restaurant to have dinner, which costs about $9 per person, including drinks and taxes.
After dinner, they all get dessert at an ice cream shop and chat about everything from their favorite movies to passion projects they could work on together.
By 11:30 p.m., Shen and Leung are home. They plan a future trip involving elephants and mountain hiking and watch a Netflix show. By 12:30 a.m., it's bedtime.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders