A family of 8 is traveling through Australia's most remote regions in a fully customized double-decker camper van. Here's a look inside.
© SLRV Expedition Vehicles
- An Australian family of eight commissioned one the largest campers in the world in order to explore Australia's most remote regions for months at a time.
- Designed by Australian luxury expedition vehicle manufacturer SLRV, it serves as a fully functioning house on wheels.
- Dubbed the Commander 8x8, the vehicle is 40 feet long, two stories tall, and can sleep up to 10 people.
- SLRV did not disclose the final cost of the camper but previously estimated that the price would fall between $670,000 and $1,370,000.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
An Australian family of eight is traveling around the wilds of Australia in a veritable mansion on wheels.The family, who prefers to remain anonymous, contacted Australia's leading luxury expedition vehicle manufacturer, SLRV, a year and a half ago about designing a camper that would allow them explore the country's most remote regions for months on end, SLRV cofounder Warwick Boswerger told Business Insider.
This was no small feat: Australia is home to some of the world's last true wilderness and is the driest inhabited continent on Earth, consisting of 70% arid or semi-arid land.
But SLRV was up to the challenge. Boswerger and his team designed a two-story, 40-foot long camper van that New Atlas describes as "apocalypse-grade" and ranks among the largest expedition vehicles in the world.
Take a look inside:
An Australian family of 8 commissioned an 8-wheel, double-decker luxury camper to explore Australia's most remote regions.
Dubbed the Commander 8x8, the vehicle is built on a military-grade MAN TGS truck base.Advertisement
The camper's defining feature is its 6.5-foot roof lift. Activated with the push of a button on an LCD screen, it transforms the RV from one story to two.
The camper also boasts a state-of-the-art electric system comprised of lithium batteries charged by a solar panel system as well as a diesel backup generator and alternator.Advertisement
No inch of space is underutilized. Case in point: The washer unit and sink are accessed from the camper's exterior.
SLRV designed the camper to have all of the comforts of home, including ducted air conditioning and heating.Advertisement
The first floor includes a lounge area that can seat up to 10 people ...
... as well as a fully functional kitchen with a double burner stovetop, two microwave ovens, and two fridges.Advertisement
Past the kitchen are the bathroom and shower ...
... and the master bedroom.Advertisement
To accommodate additional guests, the lounge can also be converted into a bedroom.
Between the dinette and kitchen, floating stairs lead up to the second level ...Advertisement
... which has a TV and six single beds with reading lights and individual windows.
And there's plenty of storage for life on the road.Advertisement
Today's travelers are increasingly seeking meaningful, transformational experiences, and luxury RVs help them achieve that in style and comfort.
- IMF projects 11.5% growth rate for India in 2021, only major economy to record double digit growth
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar