A family started their own 'Quarantine Olympics' on TikTok while they're stuck at home
familyin North Carolina started their own " QuarantineOlympics" to pass the time while they're at home.
- The Presley family competes against one another in silly challenges that range from blindfolded toilet paper fights to straw races, and they air the footage on Alex Presley's TikTok.
- Their first installment of the
gamesgot over 8 million views, and Alex's followers are even trying the games for themselves.
- "I'm glad everyone's making the best of the situation that we're in right now and has something positive to look forward to every day," Alex told Insider.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Presley family has been playing games together for years.
"We play family games most nights that we come home to visit our parents," Alex Presley, 25, told Insider."Everyone used to always say, 'Oh let's go to the Presleys' house. There's always that something crazy going on there,'" his twin brother Zach added, with their friends and family members thinking of them as the fun house throughout their lives.Advertisement
The Presleys took their love of games to the next level with the 'Quarantine Olympics'The games actually started by accident, according to Alex.
The family was running through their usual games while self-isolating together when Alex decided they should try something a little more creative.He suggested the household — which consists of Alex, Zach, their parents Wendy and Lee, and Alex's girlfriend Taylor Sharp — try the straw challenge, racing each other to drink as much water as they could while it poured out of the refrigerator without the cup overflowing.
The family agreed, and Alex filmed the competition, posting the footage on
"Our family is very competitive, so I mean we do stupid stuff all the time," Zach said. "This is just the first time Alex has videoed it and put it out there on TikTok. So it's just a new platform."
Nearly all of the comments on the video were requesting more competitions, so the Presleys decided to oblige.
The Presleys have completed 14 challenges so far, documenting each competition on TikTokAlex, who was in the lead for the games at the time of writing, typically thinks of the ideas for the challenges, all of which take place in the Presleys' home.Advertisement
He also tries to make use of household items like toilet paper that they can then reuse so there's no waste created during the games.
The Presleys usually film their videos after dinner, and it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to two hours to capture the footage they need.Advertisement
Alex said the biggest challenge of the Quarantine Olympics is thinking of games that he can capture in just 60 seconds to fit TikTok's video length.
Getting his family invested, on the other hand, isn't difficult at all. "Everyone's kinda competitive, so they want to win," he said. "They want to do good for their team.""Sometimes, when I tell them the idea of the game, they're like, 'Nah, I don't know about this.' But as soon as we start playing, they're into it and everyone's just laughing and cheering everyone on."Advertisement
And the Presleys find ways to get around the app's time constraints as well.
Alex and Zach told Insider that the best part of the Quarantine Olympics is the impact it's had on people around the world"A lot of people are messaging me that they're doing it with their families," Alex said. "They're thanking us for all these games.Advertisement
"It is cool to see those people all over the country and the world saying that they're doing these games with their families," Zach added.
"I've had people from Canada, Germany, and London all reach out and say they're doing this with their families," Alex said."I'm glad everyone's making the best of the situation that we're in right now and has something positive to look forward to every day," he added.Advertisement
The Presleys plan to continue the Quarantine Olympics for the duration of their time at home together, and Alex is brainstorming ideas for their eventual closing ceremonies.
To keep up with the Quarantine Olympics, you can follow Alex on TikTok here.
- Read more:
- A couple who loves 'Harry Potter' modeled 100 years of Hogwarts fashion on TikTok, and even J. K. Rowling approves
- A couple discovered a stunning hot tub underneath the floor of their home office
- A photographer is making tiny worlds out of household items while she's stuck at home
- A couple who had to postpone their 200-guest wedding at the last minute got married on their roof, and the photos are stunning
- Strong listing for CAMS— stocks debuts 23% higher than the issue price band
- Chemcon makes a lot of money for its IPO investors — shares list at double the issue price
- Top stock movers — RIL, PVR, Bajaj Auto, INOX Leisure, ONGC, Oil India and more
- ISRO to carry first-ever French payload abroad Venus mission scheduled for 2025
- BJP MP Ravi Kishan gets Y plus category security