A new survey says the average new RV owner is now significantly younger
RVsales have skyrocketed throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The average RV buyer who bought their first vehicle during COVID-19 is younger and less likely to be white than buyers before 2020.
RV sales have boomed throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, especially from first-time buyers interested in investing in life on the road.
And according to data compiled by the
RV ownership has jumped more than 62% throughout the last 20 years. The 18 to 34-year-old age range specifically has grown "significantly," making up 22% of current RV owners, according to RVIA's "2021 Go RVing RV Owner Demographic Profile." And of these millennial and Gen Z tiny home on wheels owners, 84% reported that they were planning on buying an additional build.
And unlike their older counterparts, these Gen Z and millennial-owned RVs have more tech and leisure add-ons — like streaming devices and outdoor gear — and are being used more for music festivals, according to RVIA.
The RV ownership community is also becoming more diverse, albeit by a small increment. Of all the current RV owners, about 85% are white. But this drops to 76% in first-time buyers who purchased in 2020.
Meanwhile, first-time Black buyers made up 13% of this 2020 cohort, an 11% increase compared to at least six years ago. The remaining new buyers were Asian and Hispanic or Latinos at 5% and 6%, respectively.
"I'm seeing far more people of color at RV parks today than when we started RVing seven years ago," Keith Sims, a former National Football League player and owner of the Soulful RV Family blog, said in a statement on the press release. "My mother-in-law rents out her RV and half of the renters are minorities."
- Top 20 most sought after startups that Indians want to work for
- itel launches India's most affordable 5G smartphone 'P55 Power 5G' under Rs 10K
- Dunzo laying off 150-200 more employees amid fresh funding news: Reports
- Checkout the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 matches that will be played in Mumbai
- Manufacturing value: The stocks that gave 100x returns in last 20 years