A superyacht owned by a sanctioned Russian billionaire has reportedly anchored in the Maldives, which doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US
- A superyacht owned by a sanctioned Russian billionaire arrived in the Maldives on Monday, AFP said.
- The White House said Saturday it could seize the
yachtsof sanctioned Russian oligarchs.
A superyacht owned by a US-sanctioned Russian billionaire has arrived in the Maldives, Agence France-Presse reported Tuesday. It's one of several Russian-owned pleasure craft believed to be headed to the sunny island nation, which doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US.
The yacht, Clio, is owned by Oleg Deripaska, the founder of the Russian aluminum group Rusal who was sanctioned by the US in 2018. Clio dropped anchor off Mala, the capital of the Maldives, on Monday, AFP said, citing port officials.
At least two other
In a tweet Saturday, the White House said: "This coming week, we will launch a multilateral Transatlantic task force to identify, hunt down, and freeze the assets of sanctioned Russian companies and oligarchs — their yachts, their mansions, and any other ill-gotten gains that we can find and freeze under the law."
Deripaska's 73-meter Clio "was designed for long voyages around the world and self-sufficient living for several months at a time," according to its maker, Lürssen.
Deripaska was one of two Russian billionaires who spoke out on Sunday against
The Biden administration recently targeted 10 Russian oligarchs as part of a sweeping package of sanctions against Russia. The sanctions aim to financially cripple the country's wealthiest members in retaliation for Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Insider's Avery Hartman reported on Monday that Russian billionaires were still crisscrossing the globe on private jets and yachts despite the sanctions.
- IPL 2023 new rules – from two team sheets to impact player, here are the new rules
- Current Account Deficit narrows to 2.2% of GDP in Q3: RBI data
- No festive cheer for auto cos in March: PV sales ‘flattish’, 2Ws to see a slight uptick
- Star Sports gets a tech upgrade for IPL 2023: Dolby Atmos, Real-time Highlights, Ambience-only mode, and more explained
- Untimely rains and hails damage about 20 pc of mango crop: ICAR