Azealia Banks appeared to boil dead cat remains in a disturbing Instagram post
- Azealia Banks began trending on Twitter early Tuesday morning after she posted a video on Instagram where she appeared to dig up her dead cat and boil it.
- The video then moved its way over to Twitter after people screen recorded it and posted it on the social media platform. Shortly after, Azealia Banks quickly began trending on the platform.
- Insider has reached out to Bank's team for comment about what's going on in the video, as well as Instagram to confirm whether Banks deleted the video or if it was taken down. Neither have replied to Insider's request for comment.
- This article contains graphic content that may be disturbing to some readers.
Singer and rapper Azealia Banks began trending on Twitter early Tuesday morning after she posted a video on Instagram where she appeared to be digging up her dead cat and boiling its remains. The video appears to now be deleted. It's drawing wide attention with many people expressing confusion and disgust.Banks offered no further explanation for the video beyond the caption, which read, "Lucifer. 2009-2020. My dear kitty. Thank you for everything. A legend. An icon. Forever a serval serve."
—Daily Hip Hop Outlet (@DailyRapOutlet) January 12, 2021Over 8,000 people reacted to the video with horror, jokes, and memes.
—NUFF (@nuffsaidny) January 12, 2021
—큰 음경 (@symherelul) January 12, 2021
—Hey Lol❄ (@Farhaan____) January 12, 2021
Banks later posted a now-deleted set of photos on her Instagram of a planter with a chain link and lock around it, inside there's a bottle of Veuve Clicquot, a $100 bill, a bottle of Chanel perfume, a crucifix, peacock feathers, and an animal skull (which many have speculated belongs to the dead cat), among other items.
—Artemis (@MarxistJinsoul) January 12, 2021Insider has reached out Banks' team for comment and Instagram to gain clarification as to whether the post was taken down by the platform or deleted by Banks.
Neither immediately responded for comment.The Harlem rapper is no stranger to controversy, as she's been embroiled in multiple scandals in recent years.Banks posted a video of herself in 2016 cleaning a closet covered in what appeared to be dried blood and feathers, where she said practiced "brujeria" - the Spanish word for witchcraft - for three years.
—Lolita (@Joyridethealbum) December 30, 2016
In the video, she's seen cleaning a dirty closet with a sander, saying "You know I gotta scrape all this sh-- up. I got my sandblaster and my goggles. It's about to go down."
She continued later in the same Instagram story, "Real witches do real things."Banks was called out by singer Sia, who is a long-standing animal rights activist, who tweeted "sacrificing animals is the wackiest sh-- I've ever heard. Get ahead by being awesome, kind, and working hard."
Azealia saw her tweet and fired back, saying "HAVE SOME F---ING RESPECT FOR MY TRADITIONAL AFRICAN RELIGION."
—Pop Crave (@PopCrave) December 30, 2016
Banks is known for unfiltered comments on pop culture, especially relating to celebrities. She went ranted against Zayn Malik, Grimes, Elon Musk, and Cardi B. Banks also attacked Rihanna after she was vocal about President Donald Trump's immigration ban.Banks has also taken heat for her political views. In 2016 she got backlash for endorsing President Donald Trump. In August 2020, she was criticized for calling Joe Biden "legitimately scary."
- IMF projects 11.5% growth rate for India in 2021, only major economy to record double digit growth
- Connaught Place to remain shut as farmers' tractor parade turns violent
- After violent clashes with police, farmers swarm Red Fort
- DMRC closed entry and exit gates of yellow, green, violet and blue lines in surge of farmers protest
- Delhi Police fires tear-gas shells on farmers near Akshardham temple and Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar