Beauty influencer Mikayla Nogueira says she's taking a break from social media to focus on her 'deteriorating mental health' after addressing comments about influencers' long working hours
- Mikayla Nogueira apologized for her comments in a now-deleted viral clip where she discussed her workload.
- The makeup artist "regrets" making the video and admits that her "emotions were running high."
Beauty influencer Mikayla Nogueira has responded to the almost two-year-old viral TikTok clip that sparked backlash when it resurfaced on September 20. In the original clip, Nogueira responds to a social media user who told her to "report to a 9-5" job.
Nogueira fired back, saying "I literally just finished working, it's 5:19. Try being an influencer for a day, try it ... It is not for everybody. In fact, it's for a very small handful of people who can actually do this job because it's absolutely fucking insane. You do not want to have this job."
The clip made its rounds throughout the TikTok community. Many viewers and fellow influencers expressed their frustration with the tone-deaf comments, Insider's Mara Leighton reported.
On Friday, Nogueira posted a nine-minute video to TikTok where she addressed the comments and backlash she received.
"Unfortunately, I was having a shit day and I made a video that I absolutely should not make," she said. "I regret making it."
The influencer admitted that her "emotions were running high," and that the video was "taken out of context." She further explained that she doesn't think she has it harder than a "neurosurgeon" or a "teacher."
@mikaylanogueira ♬ original sound - Mikayla Nogueira
"People made it seem like I think I work harder than everybody else, and that's an absolute bullshit lie," Nogueira clarified.
Nogueira expressed her gratitude for her job before announcing that she's stepping away from content creation for the time being. "This job comes with an extreme amount of fucking privilege, and blessings and gratitude. It's a fucking sick ass job, I'm not going to lie," she said.
"I don't want to lose myself completely, you know? So, I'm going to go away for a while. I'm gonna get treatment. I'm gonna get help because my depression is just not good." The TikTok star disclosed that this break is unrelated to the recent backlash.
After promising she would be back, she added, "I just want be the best Mikayla I can be and, right now, I'm not a very good version of myself."
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Adani Group repays loans worth $2.65 bn to complete prepayment programme
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the red amid volatility: Adani group, SBI Cards, Indigo among stocks to watch
- Henkel doubles down on India as hair care market at an inflection point – to evaluate laundry segment later
- IKIO Lighting IPO opens today: 10 things to know before you subscribe
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023