Chinese New Year threatens to further disrupt the global supply chain as smaller shippers in China suspend services for the holidays earlier than usual
Chinese New Yearis earlier than last year, and is complicated by especially long quarantinerequirements for sailors returning to China.
- In some cases, according to Bloomberg, sailors are facing 7-week quarantines.
The potential disruption this year is exacerbated by two factors: This year, Chinese New Year falls on February 1, 2022 — a full 12 days earlier than in 2021. And, as Bloomberg reported in November, China's Covid-zero policy has sailors anticipating longer than usual quarantine periods before they can make their way back on land. In some cases, the outlet found, sailors were required to serve up to seven weeks in quarantine before being cleared to return home.
The new timeline is being especially felt in China's southern manufacturing hub, where independent shipping providers service the region. Many — which would have typically taken off around two week before Chinese New Year in a pre-pandemic climate — have already begun winding down business for the year in anticipation of the holiday.
The longer-than-usual suspension of feeder services could have a knock-on impact on the global supply chain, as cargo to and from smaller Chinese ports may surge earlier than usual.
"Some of this might be redirected onto land
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- India emerges as the world's largest producer, consumer of sugar
- Scientists find new evidence for liquid water on Mars
- Both GST and Excise duty can be imposed on tobacco: Karnataka HC
- Godrej Consumer Products expects improved consumption in second half of this fiscal
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World