Delta Air Lines says its $200 monthly healthcare surcharge motivated one-fifth of its unvaccinated workers to get vaccinated against COVID-19 within 2 weeks
Delta Air Linesrecently said its staff must either get vaccinated or pay more for health insurance.
- Within two weeks of the announcement, 20% of Delta's
unvaccinatedworkers chose to get the vaccine.
- The penalty, which takes effect November 1, is a $200 monthly surcharge for Delta's healthcare plan.
Delta Air Lines' recently announced penalty for unvaccinated workers has already encouraged about one-fifth of them to get the
The carrier said last month that it would soon start charging unvaccinated staff $200 more per month for its health insurance plan. Delta said the penalty would take effect on November 1 to factor in the financial risk Delta is incurring by having unvaccinated workers.
In the two weeks since Delta announced the extra fee, nearly 20% of its 20,000 unvaccinated workers have chosen to get the COVID-19 shot, according to Henry Ting, Delta's chief health officer. Ting called the figure "a huge number in terms of shifting that group that's most reluctant." He made the remarks in a recent media briefing held by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Delta has not seen any employee turnover or resignations as a result of the surcharge news, Ting added.
When the extra fee was announced, roughly 74% of Delta's 80,000 employees were vaccinated against COVID-19. In the two weeks following, Delta's employee vaccination rate climbed to 78%, Ting said.
In announcing the surcharge last month, Delta also said the average hospital stay for COVID-19 costs the airline $50,000 per person. The airline added that all Delta workers who were hospitalized with COVID-19 in recent weeks weren't fully vaccinated.
As of Sunday, Delta employees in the US who aren't fully vaccinated are required to take COVID-19 tests every week. Delta announced in May that all of its new hires would be required to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
Starting September 30, Delta will only offer COVID-19 pay protection to fully vaccinated employees who get a breakthrough infection. American
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders