Dutch and Swedish dockers refused to unload a tanker carrying Russian diesel because of 'international solidarity' over the Ukraine invasion, union leader says
Dutchand Swedish dockers refused to unload a tankercarrying Russian diesel, a union official told Bloomberg.
- The official said dockers acted in "international solidarity" over the
Dutch and Swedish dock workers refused to unload a tanker carrying Russian diesel because of "international solidarity" over the Ukraine invasion, a union leader said.
Niek Stam, head of the maritime division of the Federation of Dutch Trade Unions (FNV), told Bloomberg that the tanker, Sunny Liger, was denied entry to one port in Sweden and two ports in the Netherlands.
"If dock workers somewhere else in the world refuse the cargo we will also refuse," Stam said. "We do that on the basis of international solidarity."
The tanker is currently anchored off the coast of IJmuiden, not far from Amsterdam, according to ship-tracking data from Marine Traffic.
The Sunny Liger, which sails under a Marshall Islands flag, left the Russian port of Primorsk on April 24, according to Marine Traffic. It had picked up 60,000 tons of diesel in Primorsk, per tracking data cited by Bloomberg.
The tanker then made its way to a port in Sweden, where it was denied entry, and was later refused entry from the Dutch ports of Rotterdam and Amsterdam, Stam said.
Given that the Sunny Liger has a Marshall Islands flag, it isn't subject to sanctions against
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
European Union nations are trying to figure out how to wean themselves off
Germany, which purchases around 25% of its oil from Russia, has said it's now prepared to stop buying Russian oil.
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Akash Ambani to head Reliance Jio - that’s just phase I of Mukesh Ambani’s succession plan
- OnePlus Nord 2T launch is around the corner – here’s what you can expect
- OnePlus Nord 2T Review — A balanced all rounder at an affordable price
- Reliance Industries, ONGC, Vedanta and others slapped with windfall, export tax on petroleum
- Sena moves SC to suspend Eknath Shinde and 15 other MLAs
- Sensex sinks by 400 points in early trade on weak global cues