Elon Musk says Tesla is working on a battery that drives more than 600 miles — and hints at a new compact car for Europe
Teslais developing a battery with 600 miles of range, Elon Musksaid Tuesday.
- The CEO also hinted that Tesla may develop a smaller, compact car for European markets.
- "I was driving around Berlin and in quite a bit of trouble finding a parking space where we could fit," he said.
It's not easy to park a Tesla
"In Europe it would make sense to do a compact car, perhaps a hatchback or something like that," Musk said at a conference Tuesday, adding that cars in the US tend to be larger."If you're trying to park in a dense urban environment, having a car that actually fits in parking spaces is important," he said. "I was driving around Berlin and in quite a bit of trouble finding a parking space where we could fit."
In miles, those ranges translate to roughly 372 and 621 miles, respectively. The Model S is the only model with a range rating of more than 400 miles from the US Environmental Protection Agency.But there's a long way to go to improve battery range and life, something Tesla won't be able to do alone. Earlier this year, Musk lamented the high cost of raw battery materials, even as he touted new designs that would let Tesla eke out even more range from the same chemicals that competitors use. "While Tesla continues to lead with the best overall powertrain technology," UBS analysts said in October, "the cost lead in battery cells is minor by now and will depend on its new proprietary cell design in the future."
- Andhra ASHA worker's death following Covid jab triggers protest
- Downloadable e-version of voter identity card to be launched on January 25
- Covid-19 test mandatory for guests attending Varun Dhawan's wedding
- First confirmed case of COVID-19 in pet reported in South Korea
- All iPhone 13 models to come with sensor-shift camera stabilisation, says report