Elon Musk says Tesla's logistics problems made 'World War II look trivial'
TeslaCEO Elon Musk said on Monday the company's production woes made World War II look "trivial."
- "The scale is insane," Musk said of producing millions of cars for 50 countries.
- He said Tesla's main achievement was getting to volume production without going bankrupt.
Tesla sold nearly 500,000
On Monday, the CEO said tackling Tesla's production issues and supply constraints presented a "logistical problem that makes World War II look trivial."
"I'm not kidding. The scale is insane," Musk told investors on a conference call following Tesla's first-quarter earnings report. "We're talking millions of cars, massive global supply chain, 50 countries, dozens of regulatory regimes."
World War II involved the majority of the world's countries and saw major industrial powers throw virtually their entire economic might behind the war effort.
Reiterating a point he's made on multiple occasions, Musk said that Tesla's key achievement wasn't developing an electric car, but rather becoming the first new American car company to get to volume production without going bankrupt.
"Myself and many others at Tesla had to basically have several aneurysms to get this done," Musk said.
To illustrate his point that small hiccups and delays can throw production into a tailspin, Musk said at one point Tesla had to stop building the Model S over a lack of trunk carpeting, and that another time the company had to raid electronics stores in the Bay Area for USB cables.
"For a few days there, nobody could buy a USB cable in the Bay Area because we went and bought them all to put them in the car, literally," Musk said. "There's hundreds of stories like that."
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles