Elon Musk says Tesla's logistics problems made 'World War II look trivial'
TeslaCEO Elon Musk said on Monday the company's production woes made World War II look "trivial."
- "The scale is insane," Musk said of producing millions of cars for 50 countries.
- He said Tesla's main achievement was getting to volume production without going bankrupt.
Tesla sold nearly 500,000
On Monday, the CEO said tackling Tesla's production issues and supply constraints presented a "logistical problem that makes World War II look trivial."
"I'm not kidding. The scale is insane," Musk told investors on a conference call following Tesla's first-quarter earnings report. "We're talking millions of cars, massive global supply chain, 50 countries, dozens of regulatory regimes."
World War II involved the majority of the world's countries and saw major industrial powers throw virtually their entire economic might behind the war effort.
Reiterating a point he's made on multiple occasions, Musk said that Tesla's key achievement wasn't developing an electric car, but rather becoming the first new American car company to get to volume production without going bankrupt.
"Myself and many others at Tesla had to basically have several aneurysms to get this done," Musk said.
To illustrate his point that small hiccups and delays can throw production into a tailspin, Musk said at one point Tesla had to stop building the Model S over a lack of trunk carpeting, and that another time the company had to raid electronics stores in the Bay Area for USB cables.
"For a few days there, nobody could buy a USB cable in the Bay Area because we went and bought them all to put them in the car, literally," Musk said. "There's hundreds of stories like that."
- Unacademy launches offline classes to take on Byju's-owned Aakash Institute
- Pollution cost nine million lives across the globe in 2019, India tops the list: Lancet
- Here are the top 10 companies in India as per market value after the LIC IPO
- India falls four spots on fixed broadband speed globally; goes from 72nd to 76th rank in April
- Vivo X80 5G vs Xiaomi 12 Pro 5G: Which one should you buy?
- Delhivery IPO
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction