EV startup Lucid delays deliveries of the Air, its Tesla Model S rivaling luxury sedan
- Startup carmaker
Lucidwon't deliver its first electric sedans this spring after all.
- Lucid's CEO said in a letter that production will be postponed due to COVID-19-related delays.
- Lucid aims to start production as early as it can in the second half of 2021.
Startup automaker Lucid has postponed the first deliveries of its debut electric vehicle, the 2021 Lucid Air. Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson announced the
"Despite the excellent progress made in all areas, we now know that we won't be able to start delivering Lucid Air this spring at the level of quality we insist on providing," Rawlinson said. "I am wholly committed to delivering a breathtaking electric car. If this means it will take a bit more time, the this is what we must do."
Lucid aims to start production as early as it can in the second half of 2021, Rawlinson said. Previously the company said that customers would start receiving their sedans this spring. Lucid's top executive said the pandemic has affected the startup's testing activities, supply chain, and its preparations for sales and service.
The Air, a pricey luxury sedan, is set to compete directly with the
Lucid says the top-tier version of the Air will have an estimated range of 517 miles. At the time of the announcement, that was substantially more than any vehicle Tesla offered. Tesla has since introduced a "Plaid Plus" version of the Model S that it claims will have 520 miles of range.
Lucid also made a splash when it announced in October that the entry-level Air sedan would cost $69,900 after federal tax credits, undercutting the cheapest Model S by a few thousand dollars. That same day, Musk said Tesla would cut the price of the Model S to $69,420.
The upstart firm announced Monday that it will go public through a reverse merger at an initial valuation of $24 billion. It will build the Air at a plant in Casa Grande, Arizona, and has plans for a future SUV and a more affordable sedan to rival the Tesla Model 3.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- Top 5 Places to visit in Munnar
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies