Extreme weather disrupted almost half of JetBlue's flights on Thursday with cancellations continuing as the airline recovers
JetBlueleft hundreds of passengers stranded after delaying or canceling half of its flights on Thursday.
- The airline said severe weather in Florida and New England caused the flight disruptions.
- Weather was a primary factor in delays that occurred over the summer, causing issues for American and Spirit.
JetBlue Airways canceled or delayed over half of its flights yesterday, leaving passengers at some airports stranded for hours.
"The bulk of cancellations ... were the result of dangerous thunderstorms in South Florida and the Northeast last night and into this morning. This weather leads to airport closures and air traffic control programs. Whenever these weather events take place they can also create residual impacts as we work to reposition aircraft and crews," a JetBlue spokesperson told Insider.
According to data from FlightAware, 50% of JetBlue flights were disrupted yesterday, with 44% being delayed and 6% being canceled. The airline had the highest ratio of flight disruptions compared to other carriers, including Southwest and American which only had 20% of flights delayed and 1% and 2% canceled, respectively.
Meanwhile, Delta Air Lines, which, according to the airline, has the largest operation at New York's JFK International Airport, only had 17% of its flights delayed and 0% canceled on Thursday. Today, JetBlue has already delayed 27% and canceled 6% of its flights, compared to Delta, American, United, and Southwest that have all delayed less than 10% and canceled between 0 and 1%.
Weather was the principal factor in the hundreds of
Meanwhile, Spirit Airlines' operation broke down after a poorly timed combination of severe weather and
Editor's note: An earlier headline implied JetBlue canceled half of its flights on Thursday. It has been updated.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles