Here's exactly how much money each of America's 10 wealthiest people gave away to charity in 2018
- America's 10 wealthiest people gave an average of 0.94% of their net worths to charity in 2018, according to a new analysis of the charitable contributions of America's wealthiest people by UC Berkeley economist Gabriel Zucman.
- Of all the multibillionaires on this list, only Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Michael Bloomberg gave more than 1% of their net worths to charity in 2018.
- Three of America's richest billionaires gave 0.0% of their net worths to charity in 2018.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Billionaires aren't as generous as they may let on, a new analysis of the charitable contribution of America's wealthiest people by UC Berkeley economist Gabriel Zucman reveals.America's 10 wealthiest people gave an average of 0.94% of their net worths to charity in 2018, according to Zucman. To compile the ranking, Zucman used data from the Forbes 400 and the magazine's America's Top 50 Givers lists in 2018.Advertisement
Of all the multibillionaires on this list, only Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Michael Bloomberg gave more than 1% of their net worths to charity in 2018. Some of the low figures can be explained by the "lumpy" nature of charitable giving, according to Vox's Dylan Matthews - billionaires often make large lump-sum gifts, with other, smaller donations in between.
Google cofounder Sergey Brin for example, gave 0.0% of his net worth to charity in 2018 according to Zucman's analysis, but gave $2.2 billion between 2000 and 2017 according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy. Several of the billionaires on this list, including Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg, Warren Buffett, and Bill Gates, have also signed onto the Giving Pledge, promising that they will give away the majority of their fortunes before or after they die.Keep reading to learn how much money the richest men in America gave to charity in 2018, arranged in order of increasing total net worths as of 2018.
10. Presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg is one of three billionaires on this list who gave more than 1% of their net worths to charity in 2018.
9. Despite being a leading philanthropist in years past, Google cofounder Sergey Brin didn't donate much in 2018.Advertisement
8. David Koch gave away $54 million in 2018, before passing away in August.
7. Charles Koch gave away five times more money than his brother did in 2018.Advertisement
6. Larry Page gave away significantly more money in 2018 than his business partner.
5. Oracle cofounder Larry Ellison is one of three billionaires on this list who gave 0.0% of his net worth to charity in 2018.Advertisement
4. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg does most of his charitable giving through the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, the private foundation he funds alongside his wife, Dr. Priscilla Chan.
3. Warren Buffett, however, prefers to give to the foundation run by his friends (and fellow billionaires) Bill and Melinda Gates.Advertisement
2. Bill Gates is a full-time philanthropist and the second-largest donor on this list after Buffett.
1. Jeff Bezos has previously been criticized for not giving enough to charity and for his refusal to sign the Giving Pledge.Advertisement
- Zomato announces 10 days of menstrual leave for all women employees – including transgender people
- Mukesh Ambani is now the world’s fourth-richest person after he beat Louis Vuitton owner Bernard Arnault
- If you have a high risk tolerance — here are a few ‘aggressive’ investment bets to consider
- Karnataka is building a cycling map for Bengaluru by crowdsourcing inputs from city's cyclists
- Indian Medical Association says nearly 200 doctors have lost their lives to COVID-19