Hijab-wearing model Halima Aden says she is quitting fashion shows after being forced to compromise her religious beliefs
- Halima Aden, 23, got signed as a model in 2016 after competing in Miss Minnesota wearing a hijab.
- She has since become the first hijab-wearing model in Sports Illustrated and on the cover of British Vogue.
- Aden announced on Wednesday that she will no longer partake in shows or shoots that misuse the hijab — citing many of her own that she regrets — and criticized the industry for a lack of Muslim stylists.
Halima Aden, one of the first high-profile models to wear a hijab, has announced that she will no longer walk fashion runway shows, citing religious grounds.
Aden has made history many times since 2016, when she competed in Miss Minnesota wearing a hijab — accruing national acclaim and a contract with IMG Models, the launchpad for stars including Kate Moss and Gisele Bündchen.Since, Aden has graced Sports Illustrated in a burkini, walked for Kanye West's brand Yeezy, and became the first model to wear a hijab on the covers of British Vogue and Allure.
The 23-year-old cited examples of times she felt she compromised her religious beliefs, including wearing jeans on her head or posing as The Girl With The Pearl Earring.Aden said, "I can only blame myself for caring more about opportunity than what was actually at stake," but added: "What I do blame the industry for is the lack of Muslim women stylists."
Very few designers and creative directors understand the uniquely personal meaning of a hijab, Aden said, but that handful includes Rihanna, the founder and director of her eponymous fashion house Fenty.
"Sis let me wear the hijab I brought to set. This is the girl I'm returning to, the real Halima," Aden wrote in a Story, sharing the original post of her Fenty shoot.Read more:
- 'Democracy has prevailed' says Joe Biden as he takes oath as the 46th President of the United States
- PM Modi congratulates Joe Biden, says he looks forward to strengthen India-US partnership
- Democracy has prevailed, says US President Joe Biden in his first speech. PTI ZH AKJ ZH ZH
- Joe Biden takes oath as 46th US President amidst unprecedented security. PTI ZH AKJ ZH ZH
- Kamala Devi Harris creates history as she takes oath as Vice President of USA