'I was born into a huge situation of privilege': Bill Gates' oldest daughter discusses growing up in a billionaire household
- Jennifer Gates, Bill and Melinda Gates' oldest daughter, said in a recent interview that she "was born into a huge situation of privilege."
- Her father has long been one of the world's wealthiest people. According to Forbes, his latest net worth is about $108 billion.
- In 2011, he said his children would receive a "minuscule portion" of his wealth.
Jennifer Gates, the oldest daughter of Bill and Melinda Gates, gave a new interview in which she discussed the advantages of growing up in a household with enormous wealth.
"I was born into a huge situation of privilege," she told Sidelines Magazine in the publication's July issue, "and I think it's about using those opportunities and learning from them to find things that I'm passionate about and hopefully make the world a little bit of a better place."Gates, who graduated from Stanford University in 2018 and now attends Mount Sinai's Icahn School of Medicine, told Sidelines her childhood pediatrician served as a role model who helped her realize her good fortune and inspired her to study human biology. Gates told the publication she might become a pediatrician or family practitioner but wanted to remain open to other career paths.Advertisement
"I'm excited to continue to learn, and share what I can with people," she said. "We're all human and having different human experiences, yet there is something so universal about the way we all experience hardship, growth, and joy in our lives. Being receptive to learning about others' experience, regardless of what they're pursuing, will help me be a better physician in the future and continue to do my part in the world."
Gates is also an equestrian and told Sidelines she hoped to one day land a spot on Team USA for the FEI Nations Cup, which Horse Network has called "equestrian sport's oldest and most prestigious team challenge."Gates' father, who has long been one of the world's wealthiest people (he now ranks second, behind Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos), has a net worth of $108 billion, according to Forbes. In 2011, he told the Daily Mail his children would receive a "minuscule portion" of his wealth.
"It will mean they have to find their own way," he said at the time.
- Read more:
- Inside the life of Bill Gates' daughter Jennifer, an elite equestrian who stands to inherit 'a minuscule portion' of her father's $110 billion fortune and is engaged to accomplished Egyptian equestrian Nayel Nassar
- Bill Gates' oldest daughter Jennifer just got engaged — here's everything we know about her equestrian fiancé
- This relatively unknown town in Florida has become a horse 'Disneyland' for the richest of the rich, including Bill Gates' and Steve Jobs' offspring
- Bill Gates has a net worth of over $96 billion — here's how he makes and spends his money