I worked as a fur character at Disney World. Here are answers to 3 common questions people always ask me.
- I worked as a fur character at Disney World for 4 months during my
- The job was often very hot and exhausting, but there were safety measures in place to keep us cool.
Here are the answers to three questions that people always asks me:
Are there fans in the suits to keep you from overheating?
Unfortunately, there aren't any fans inside the costumes for performers — although you may think there should be given the humid Florida climate.
But there are other ways Disney keeps its performers cool and safe.
Training schedules allow time for performers to get conditioned to the weight of the costumes as well as the heat. Plus, the areas where you typically find characters meeting outside are usually either covered or shaded.
Safety is always the No. 1 priority at Disney, and if a performer is experiencing distress on the job, it's taken very seriously.
How do they decide which and how many characters you play?
Some performers have up to 10 roles they're approved for, but others may have just one or two — it really just depends on your height and body measurements.
Since the company aims to keep physical consistency with each character, the various performers cast in each role have to be around the same size.
These height and measurement restrictions are also in place for performers' physical safety inside the costumes.
What happens when kids ask weird questions?
People may think whiny, scared, and fussy children would be the worst part of the job, but some of the worst interactions I had were actually with adults or teenagers.
Though many adults are there to celebrate and preserve the magic with their families, there were some who just wanted to make me break character. I'd get questions like "Is it hot in there?" or "Are you a boy or a girl?"
Luckily, whenever I was working, I always had a front-facing character attendant nearby who could speak to the guests directly and field problems.
Since I couldn't speak or fully handle issues while I was in character in the costume, the attendants were the true heroes when it came to those rough guest interactions.
- I just got laid off from my dream job at Tesla without warning. I feel like my life got uprooted so a billionaire could save some money.
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report
- Best smartphones under ₹40,000 in India