A rap verse by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is going viral on TikTok with memes about hustle culture
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson made his rap debut on Tech N9ne's track "Face Off."
- His verse, which includes the lyrics "it's about drive, it's about power," went viral on
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's rap debut on Tech N9ne's song "Face Off" has gone viral on TikTok, with its lyrics sparking a wave of hustle
"It's about drive, it's about power / we stay hungry, we devour," Johnson raps on the track's final verse. "Put in the work, put in the hours and take what's ours." He wrote the verse himself, per Variety. "Face Off" was released in October on Tech N9ne's album "Asin9ne" and also features Joey Cool and King Iso.
An upload of Johnson's verse has been used in over 48,000 videos on TikTok, amassing millions of cumulative views in the process.
It's been propelled by a flood of memes that have applied his words to satirical videos about fitness, superhuman feats, or even school. While the subject matter varies, the format is relatively uniform: upon hearing Johnson rap "it's about drive, it's about power," users show themselves doing sped-up weight lifting reps, blasting through assignments, or doing household chores. It's a satirical take on extreme fitness and "hustle" culture, which glorifies overwork.
Tech N9Ne told Variety that "Face Off" is an "energy song" that he envisioned people using to "get people pumped up to lift weights, pumped up for fights, pumped up for the game." The rapper said that he wanted a fighter on the track, and following Johnson's work on the Disney film "Moana," he knew that the former wrestler and actor "had the rhythm."
Amid the flood of memes, Johnson's verse has also turned into a copypasta - a memetic set of text that people spam online - that populates comment sections on related videos.
The song's popularity on TikTok hasn't come without its fair share of critique, with some TikTok users posting viral videos calling the verse "trash" and asking people to "please stop hyping this." Those criticisms, however, are balanced out by people defending the track and others saying that it's grown on them.
"Why I'm a actually starting to like this so- ITS ABOUT DRIVE ITS ABOUT POWER," one comment with over 103,000 likes from user @jotarokujo8315 on @hotpockets55's video about the song reads.
@therock ##Rock♬ Face Off - Dwayne Johnson - Tech N9ne & Joey Cool & King Iso & Dwayne Johnson
On Wednesday, Johnson himself finally got in on the fun on TikTok for the first time since the day of the song's release.
"THANK YOU for rockin' HARD on our #FACEOFF," Johnson said in the caption of a Wednesday TikTok post about the fan reception to the song that features clips of videos set to his verse, some of which appear to be memes.
THANK YOU for rockin’ HARD on our ##FACEOFF What’s my muthafuckin’ name♬ Face Off - Dwayne Johnson - Tech N9ne & Joey Cool & King Iso & Dwayne Johnson
Less than an hour after the video was posted, its comments section were beginning predictably fill up with one set of words, repeated by brand accounts including those of the Pittsburg Steelers and the Dallas Mavericks: "It's about drive, it's about power / we stay hungry, we devour."
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries
- 2,116 serious AEFI cases out of 119 crore COVID-19 jabs, says Centre
- After taking us on a nostalgia trip by featuring 90s stars like Rahul Dravid and Jackie Shroff in its ads, CRED is back at it again, this time with Chacha Chaudhary and Suppandi
- Top 10 most wicket-takers for India in the history of Test Cricket
- Motorola launches 'Moto G31' smartphone with OLED display, starting at ₹12,999