Jeep unveiled its first new Grand Wagoneer in 30 years. The Escalade competitor could run you well over $100,000.
- The 2022
JeepWagoneer and Grand Wagoneer have arrived.
- The massive luxury SUVs take aim at land yachts like the Cadillac Escalade and BMW X7.
- The Wagoneer starts at just under $60,000 while the Grand Wagoneer starts at nearly $90,000.
Jeep, a brand once known for utilitarian off-roaders like the Wrangler, is going full-bore into luxury SUVs.
The company on Thursday unveiled two new high-end family-haulers - the 2022 Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer - that take direct aim at premium three-row SUVs like the Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator, GMC Yukon, and BMW X7.
Jeep, now under the
The Wagoneer starts at $57,995, while its more expensive sibling, the Grand Wagoneer, starts at $86,995, making it by far the most expensive vehicle in Jeep's lineup. Extras like additional screens for rear passengers, bigger wheels, quilted-leather seats, and an upgraded speaker system, can bring the Grand Wagoneer's price tag to well over $100,000.
The Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer are essentially the same vehicle, with some key differences that account for the roughly $30,000 discrepancy in price. Inside, the Grand Wagoneer comes with more luxurious finishes and second-row captain's chairs as standard.
Outside, the pricier model gets more chrome accents, different LED lighting, more pronounced fender flares, electronic side steps, and a black roof.
There are also some key mechanical differences. The Wagoneer is powered by a 4.7-liter V8 that puts out 392 horsepower and 404 lb-ft of torque, while the Grand Wagoneer comes equipped with a 6.4-liter V8 that generates 471 horsepower and 455 lb-ft of torque, according to Jeep. They're capable of towing up to 10,000 lbs.
Despite the foray into luxury SUVs, Jeep hasn't completely shed its off-roading roots. Four-wheel drive and air suspension come standard on the Grand Wagoneer and are available for the Wagoneer. Jeep also says that the Wagoneers get up to 10 inches of ground clearance and can ford water that's 24 inches deep.
In reviving the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer names after three decades off the market, Jeep is just the latest automaker to capitalize on nostalgia for old models. The new Ford Bronco, Toyota Supra, Land Rover Defender, Jeep Gladiator, and GMC Hummer EV are all throwbacks to long-discontinued vehicles.
The 2022 Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are scheduled to hit dealerships in the second half of 2021. They're available to preorder now with a $500 deposit.
- Air Canada, Emirates, Air India and other airlines resume flights to Toronto and the tickets are priced up to ₹5 lakh
- I flew on a $65 million Gulfstream G650ER private jet and saw why it's a favorite of tech billionaires like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos
- Srei Group may leave a $4 billion hole in some of India’s biggest banks
- Best glass feeding bottle for newborn babies in India
- Best toddler bags for kids in India
- Best smartwatch under ₹15000 in India
- Compensation of ₹50,000 to kin of those who died of COVID-19, recommends Indian government
- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk reveals 'challenges' with toilet during Inspiration4 mission, promises upgrades in future